We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Undergraduate > Fees and funding > Government grants and loans
More in this section Government grants and loans

Government grants & loans

Along with the scholarships and bursaries provided by Royal Holloway, you can apply for financial support from the government to help cover the costs of studying and living during your undergraduate degree course.

Students from the United Kingdom

You should start thinking about applying for financial help as soon as you apply for a place on a degree.

Do not wait until you have a confirmed place on a degree before applying - simply quote the degree that you think you are most likely to attend. If your degree changes after you apply, you should inform the relevant student finance company straight away.

You can find useful Student Finance information for students and parents here.

The support that you can apply for includes:

  • Tuition fee loan
    This covers your full tuition fee and means you don't need to pay undergraduate fees directly to Royal Holloway either before or during your studies.
  • Student loan for living costs
    Student loans help students with their everyday living expenses while studying. All eligible applicants are entitled to a maximum loan amount depending on household income.

You are eligible for a standard non-assessed loan.

Full-time studentLoan for 2017/18 academic year
In London* Up to £11,002
Parental home Up to £7,097
You spend a year of a UK degree studying abroad Up to £9,654

* As Royal Holloway is part of the University of London, students here receive the London rate of loan.

Under the current system, you will start making loan repayments the April after you finish your degree and if you earn more than £21,000.

The repayments are calculated as a percentage of your income over £21,000 and will usually be made automatically through the UK tax system.


From April 2018, the threshold at which graduates will begin paying back their student loans will be  raised by the government to £25,000.

Graduates will therefore start making loan repayments from the April after they finish their degree if they are earning more than £25,000.

Additional living cost loans

Living cost loans are available to students claiming certain benefits, such as Disabled Students' Allowances and Childcare Grants.

How to apply

How you apply for funding depends on where you are currently living in the UK. You should take a look at the following websites for further information:

Once you have made your application on the above sites, your application will go through a number of stages before you receive your funding:

  • Application is assessed - the student finance authority assesses your eligibility for financial support and the amount to which you are entitled.
  • Support is confirmed and prepared for payment once the student finance authority decides how much financial help you are entitled to, they write to confirm the amounts that will be paid and when. At this stage you are sent notification of your assessment. If you applied online, you will also be sent an online declaration which must be signed and returned. If all necessary information was supplied with the application, you can expect to be advised of support entitlement between six and eight weeks after you have submitted it.
  • Course registration and payment of financial help - when you enrol at Royal Holloway, you will need to bring along your Payment Schedule Letter. We will send the relevant student finance authority electronic confirmation of your attendance. They will then release payment of the first instalment of loan and/or grant and you should receive this within three to five working days. Payment is made directly into your bank or building society.
  • Further student loan payments - if you have applied and qualify for a student loan, it will be paid to you in three instalments, at the beginning of each term. This means that after registration and your first payment, you will receive two further payments directly into your bank or building society account. Make sure you keep your bank details up to date with the Student Loans Company to ensure you receive the funds.

Taking a second undergraduate degree in a STEM subject from 2017? 

The UK government has announced a change in its student loans policy, opening the door for people to retrain in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects on a part-time basis.

Tuition fee loans for STEM courses will now be available to students in England who've already completed an undergraduate degree, helping those already in the workforce or with non-STEM degrees to upskill.

For all STEM subjects, tuition loans will be extended to students wishing to do a second part-time degree in the 2017/18 academic year.

Further information for students from England

Here is specific advice for students applying for financial support who have a home address in England.

Step 1 - Register online with Student Finance England

New students with a home address in England should register their details with Student Finance England

Registering provides you with unique security details so you can access your student finance account online or when you call. These are a password and secret answer and an 11 digit customer reference number. They will be used to identify you when you log-in to the Student Finance England website or call the helpline.

Step 2 - Log-in

When registered, the customer reference number and passwords enable you to access your online account. This will open a My Account page. From here you can apply by clicking "Apply for student support" and view/change your account details by clicking on "maintain your account".

Step 3 - Create and submit an application

Once logged in, select the link to "apply for student support". This will start the application.

You can exit the application at any stage and the information in each completed section will be saved. You can review or change the information entered up until you submit your application. Once the application is submitted it will automatically be sent for processing.

Step 4 - Providing evidence

A new student is required to provide evidence in support of their application. This will include a document or details to verify identity, such as a passport number. Any additional evidence depends on personal circumstances and the type of support applied for.

You will be sent an assessment notice, with an online declaration. This needs to be returned to Student Finance England before any support can be paid.

Step 5 - Maintaining your account

From "My account" you can:

  • update contact and bank details
  • view information and correspondence about your student finance application
  • ask questions about student finance.

Students from the European Union 

The  UK Government has announced that EU students applying for an undergraduate place at an English university or further education institution in the 2017/18 or 2018/19 academic years will continue to have access to student loans for their tuition fees, if eligible, for the duration of their degree. In addition, EU nationals who have resided in the UK for over five years will also have access to undergraduate maintenance support. 

More information on your entitlement and how to apply is available on the Student Financial Services site.

International students from outside the European Union

If you are a student applying from outside the European Union, you are not entitled to apply for funding from the UK government towards your tuition or living costs.

Your own government may, however, provide a scholarship scheme to help you study overseas, or there may be banks in your country that offer international student loans.  

If you are applying from the USA you may be eligible for Direct Stafford and PLUS Federal loans, and veterans’ benefits if you are a veteran of the US Military. If you are applying from Canada you may be eligible for  loans from your government. 

Your local British Council office should be able to provide information on scholarship and loan schemes available in your country, as well as general scholarship schemes that you may be eligible for.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback