We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Government grants and loans

Consumer information

American students can use loans from the US government to fund their studies at Royal Holloway. The College is required to disclose the consumer information listed below:

Student financial aid information

Fees and sources of funding

International students 

Home / EU undergraduate students

Home/  EU postgraduate students

US student loans

If you are from the US, detailed information about US federal and private loans is available on our US student loans web page and from US federal government websites and publications listed on our page. The information will tell you about your eligibility, what types of loans are available and their terms and conditions, how you apply, how we determine how much you may borrow, when and how you can expect to receive your loan funds, your rights and responsibilities as a borrower, what is required to maintain eligibility, and repayment of loans.

Cost of attendance

See "Student financial aid information" section for tuition fees. If your programme of study is lab-based, you may have additional lab fees to pay, or you may have additional costs associated with fieldwork. Please consult the relevant academic department. Average living expenses figures are available  here. If you are from the US and wish to borrow federal loans, please consult our US student loans web page for living expenses figures used in calculating your Cost of Attendance at Royal Holloway.

Refund policy, withdrawal procedure and return of Title IV financial aid

Royal Holloway's policy on payment of fees, fee liability in the event of withdrawal from the College and refunds is available on our US student loans web page. If you wish to withdraw from the College, you would need to complete a withdrawal form. Procedural notes are provided on the form. The requirements for return of Title IV financial aid are summarised in our  Return of Title IV Funds and Royal Holloway, University of London Refund Policy. 

Athletically-related funding

Royal Holloway only awards up to 25 Student Talented Athlete Recognition Scheme (STARS) bursaries a year to the value of £ 1,000 each, which only represents up to 0.3 per cent of the overall student population, and therefore we will not be reporting on the gender, ethnicity, transfer-out rate or completion rates of the recipients.

Health and welfare

Students with disabilities

The Educational Support Office is committed to providing guidance and support to prospective and current students with disabilities. Information about available services, facilities and support is available  here. You may also consult the Handbook for Disabled Students.


Information on vaccinations recommended for the UK is available from the Health Centre on campus.

Misuse of alcohol and drugs

The College has a duty to ensure that we comply with the legislation contained in the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 of the UK. Please refer to our Alcohol, Drugs and Substance Misuse policy for further information. If you are a US student in receipt of federal loans and convicted of a drug-related offence, you may lose your eligibility for federal aid and you may have to return any federal aid you received during the period of ineligibility. Further information and how you can regain eligibility is available on the Federal Student Aid website.

Missing person notification policy

The College's policy can be downloaded here.

Academic information

Accreditation of the College and its programmes

Royal Holloway and Bedford New College is a recognised provider of higher education in the UK and is listed on the website of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills as an institution that has its own degree-awarding powers, as listed in the Education (Recognised Bodies) (England) Order 2010.

You may request a copy for review of the College's accreditation. Alternatively, you may email FOI@royalholloway.ac.uk or phone +44 (0)1784 27 6244.

Academic programme information

Information about the current academic programmes is available in our undergraduate and postgraduate prospectus, and in the departmental brochures, as well as on the departmental web pages, where you will also find contact details of faculty and departmental staff. Please be aware that the structure of our programmes may be quite different from what you're used to in your own country and therefore it is advisable to consult the relevant academic department about their programmes.

Transfer of credits and articulation agreements

Credit transfer arrangements for undergraduate student exchanges are explained here. A list of institutions that Royal Holloway has partnered with is provided here. The College's credit transfer policy is explained in the academic regulations for undergraduate programmes and postgraduate taught programmes.

Textbook information

Information on required and recommended textbooks is available on each academic department's web pages, as well as on Moodle, the College's online learning environment. 

Legal information

Copyright policy

The College's internet access is provided through UK Higher Education's JANET network, and is governed by its acceptable use policy. This prohibits any activity which violates any other person's copyright, and any unlawful or potentially unlawful use. The regulations and policies can be found  here. Copyright advice and a link to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 are available here.

Data protection and freedom of information

Royal Holloway has to collect and use data of prospective, current and former students and staff fairly, store it safely and not disclose it to anyone else unlawfully, as governed by the UK Data Protection Act of 1998. The College provides guidance on data protection and has a published Data Protection policy. Students may request a copy of any information the College holds about them and correct it if necessary by completing a Subject Access Request form. Further information is available here.

Statistics and surveys

Completion, transfer-out and retention rates

The completion and transfer-out rates of first time, full time undergraduate students are provided on the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) website. Further information is available via the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).

Placement in employment and enrolment of graduates for further studies

The Unistats website provides official data on satisfaction scores for universities and colleges in the National Student Survey, employment and salaries after study and other key information for prospective students. The Destination of Leavers' from Higher Education (DLHE) Longitudinal Survey provides statistical information via the HESA website.The Careers Service at Royal Holloway provides information on employability.

Student surveys

The National Student Survey gathers opinions on the quality of students' teaching courses, to help prospective students make informed choices.

Private education loan information


Information on private education loans from the US, which are distinct from federal loans, is available on the  US student loans web page. These loans often have less favourable terms and conditions than federal loans and may be more expensive. The College does not operate a preferred lender arrangement, which means that students may approach any lender of their choice about a private loan, although currently we are only aware of Sallie Mae who is willing to lend to borrowers studying outside of the US.


If a prospective borrower of a private loan requests a self-certification form, the College will email or post the form to the applicant and provide help with completing it, if required. The contact person for the form is Nicole Bester.

Code of conduct

The College expects any of its employees who have responsibilities with respect to private education loans to abide by a code of conduct, which prohibits:

  • revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender
  • receiving gifts from a lender, guarantor, or a loan servicer
  • contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender
  • directing borrowers to particular lenders, or refusing or delaying loan certifications
  • offers of funds for private loans
  • call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance
  • advisory board compensation.

Get in touch

Nicole Bester
International Funding Coordinator

International Building, IN009
Support & Advisory Services

Royal Holloway, University of London
Egham Hill
TW20 0EX
United Kingdom

+44 (0) 1784 443003



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback