We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Undergraduate > Fees and funding > How much will it cost?
More in this section Fees and funding

How much will it cost?

It's important to think about tuition fees, living costs and what kind of financial support might be available to you before you start your degree.

Tuition fees

The tuition fee for UK and EU undergraduate students in 2017/18 is £9,250 per year.

To find out more search for the relevant course on our Coursefinder page.


Current information available (October 2017) means that we expect the tuition fee for UK and EU undergraduates starting their degrees in 2018 to be £9,250.There is a different tuition fee for a year spent abroad or working in industry.

Financial support

A range of financial support for UK undergraduates is available from the government including:

  • Tuition fee loans - These loans mean you don't have to pay for your degree upfront. Under the current government system you only repay your loan once you've graduated and earn over £21,000 a year. The Student Loans Company (SLC) have confimed that EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive loans and/or grants will still be able to receive funding if they start their studies in 2017.

  • Maintainence loans - For UK students only, these are intended to help with living costs such as food, accommodation and travel. The government offers an increased rate for students living in London, which includes Royal Holloway students. Students with a disability, those with dependants, those in receipt of certain means-tested benefits and care leavers may also benefit from extra help.

  • Have a look at the government's student finance calculator to find out what you might be eligible for.

You can also check out our financial support web page to see what financial advice and help we can give you.

Living costs

It's difficult to give an exact figure for likely living costs during your degree as it really comes down to your individual needs and lifestyle. We estimate you should think in terms of a range from £7,000 - £10,000 for a single person on campus, per academic year, to cover accommodation, food, personal expenses, study-related costs and some limited travelling. International students also need to take into account various settling-in expenses, including arrangements for travel to and within the UK, visas and travel and health insurance.

Take a look at our chart to get an idea of where your money will go.


How to save money at Royal Holloway

As a student at Royal Holloway, you can use your Campus Account card to buy food and beverages on campus, including in the dining halls, cafes, bars and shops. 

Benefits of your Campus Account

You won’t pay any Value Added Tax (VAT which is currently set at 20 per cent by the government) on many of the food and drink purchases you make in our catering outlets. If you’re a resident in a ‘catered-pay-as-you-go’ hall you’ll receive a further subsidy on the food you buy in the designated dining halls (around 50 per cent).

For example, if a portion of lasagne is £3.60, and you live in a ‘pay-as-you-go’ hall you’ll get a 50 per cent discount plus a further 20 per cent for not paying the VAT. That means the lasagne will cost just £1.50 at the till. Even if you’re not a catered student, the lasagne will only cost £3 as you won’t have to pay the VAT.

There’s also a ‘Spend Eat Save’ loyalty scheme attached to your account. With every purchase you make, you’ll earn points that you can then redeem for credit to your account. You’ll earn 1p for every pound you spend over the year. You’ll also receive an overdraft of £2 until the end of the academic year when it must be repaid.

Using your card to pay for food and drink on campus is one way of making savings.

Take a look at how you keep your Campus Account card topped up.

Open a student bank account

Most banks offer student accounts that have great benefits attached such as free railcards or an interest free bank account. To get these accounts you usually have to prove you’re a Royal Holloway student, for which you can use a copy of your Student Status Certificate. 

You can find out more about opening a student bank account on the student intranet.

Get travel discounts

You could receive a 16-25 railcard through your student bank account. This card gives you a 30 per cent discount on Standard Anytime, Off-Peak, Standard Advanced and First Class Advanced rail fares anywhere in the UK. Anyone in the UK aged between 16 and 25 are eligible.

If you don’t get a free railcard from your bank, you can apply for one online or in person at your local train station. For £30 a year or £70 for a three-year card, getting around can be cheaper than you think.

Visit our student intranet for more information on the travel discounts you can take advantage of.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback