We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Bursaries and scholarships

Article 26 Scholarship


Royal Holloway works in partnership with the Helena Kennedy Foundation’s Article 26 project to promote access to Higher Education for students who have fled persecution and sought asylum in the UK.

One scholarship is available each year to new eligible undergraduates in any subject.

The scholarship is offered as a full tuition fee waiver available over three years of study at Royal Holloway.

Am I eligible? 

To be considered for the Article 26 scholarship, you must:

  • Be an asylum seeker, the child of an asylum seeker or hold Discretionary Leave to Remain

  • Be ineligible to obtain funding from the Student Loan Company (tuition fee loans or maintenance loans)

  • Hold an offer to study an undergraduate programme at Royal Holloway

  • Submit a completed scholarship application form by the deadline: 19 March 2018.

A strong scholarship statement, positive referee's supporting statement and good interview are also required. 

How do I apply?

You can apply for this scholarship from early 2018.

Before starting your application, please ensure that you have read the application guidelines and the eligibility criteria. 

Once applications open and you have been given an offer to study at Royal Holloway the form will be available in your applicant portal.

As well as the information in the guidelines, you will need to write a scholarship statement which should include:

  • Your personal circumstances and what barriers you have overcome to continue with your education. You do not need to give details of the events that led to you seeking asylum, unless you wish to. You should include information about when you arrived in the UK and the current status of your asylum application

  • Your financial circumstances. You should state how you have managed financially and how you will support yourself at university. Please note that the Article 26 Scholarship cannot provide funding for living costs such as accommodation and food.

You must also submit a referee's supporting statement. This should be written by someone who knows you and should include: 

  • Details of your personal and financial circumstances and the barriers you have overcome to continue your education

  • How well suited you are to the higher education course you plan to take and how realistic your ambitions are

  • What contribution, to their knowledge, you have made to school/college life and your community

  • How they believe you would benefit from the Article 26 Scholarship
  • Any other information relevant to your application. 

It is strongly advised that you provide your referee with a copy of your scholarship statement ahead of them writing their supporting statement. 

Your referee will need to provide their name and contact details and outline in what capacity they know you. 

Your referee’s supporting statement should be uploaded on the applicant portal as part of your scholarship application.

Additional terms and conditions

You must be able to provide evidence that you have sought asylum on arrival in the UK and that your asylum application is under consideration by the Home Office. Students who have refugee status are not eligible for this scholarship.

If you are on a three year undergraduate degree and choose to spend your second year abroad, you will have any tuition fees owing to Royal Holloway waived by this scholarship. However, no additional cash award will be made in these circumstances.

If you are on a four year undergraduate degree and spend your third year on a study abroad placement you will not receive any scholarship funding for that third year. However, the full tuition fee waiver will apply for your fourth year. 

If you fulfil the eligibilty criteria you will remain eligible for the award unless:

  • you (or your parents or spouse/ civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to enter/ remain in the UK   OR

  • you become eligible to receive funding from the Student Loan Company (either tuition fee loan or maintenance loan).

In these circumstances, you must inform the university immediately and the award will cease from the start of the next academic year, when you would be expected to apply for student finance instead.



How do I apply?

Once you've received your offer to study at Royal Holloway you will be able to apply from early 2018


Read our terms and conditions


Contact us

If you have any queries please email study@royalholloway.ac.uk


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback