We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here home > Undergraduate > Applying > Undergraduate & postgraduate FAQs
More in this section Applying

Undergraduate & postgraduate FAQs

Below are some frequently asked questions which you may find useful. If you can't find the answer to a specific query here, or on the Applying pages, please enquire here.


When should I expect to receive a decision regarding my application?

This very much depends on the stage in the application cycle and if your department decides to interview. Not all applicants are interviewed. 

For undergraduates, you should expect to receive a decision within four weeks, or at least an invitation to attend an Applicant Visit Day. if you have not heard by the end of this period, please contact your department directly. 

For postgraduate applications, the application process is considerably hindered if you do not supply a complete application to the Admissions Office. Please do not send your application to the department. Your application should include a fully completed application form, two academic references, and an academic transcript.

Some departments also request samples of written / practical work. For all PhD applications, you should include a detailed research proposal to enable the department to identify an appropriate supervisor. A complete application should enable the department to make a decision within four weeks. If you have not heard by the end of this time, please contact the department directly.

I missed the UCAS deadline, can I still apply?

Applicants who apply by the UCAS deadline are guaranteed equal consideration with all applications received earlier in the academic cycle. 

Applications received after the UCAS deadline will still be considered if the course remains open, please check UCAS to confirm which courses are still open if you are making a later application.

When can I apply for a scholarship?


If your department has made you either a conditional or unconditional offer, the Admissions Office will send you a welcome pack which includes a funding guide, also available here. Included in this booklet are scholarship application forms. These should be completed and returned to the Admissions Office by the relevant deadline in order to be considered for an award. Applications received after this time may not be considered. if you have any other queries please contact the Bursaries and Scholarships Office.


You should indicate on your application that you wish to be considered for a departmental scholarship in the funding section. All postgraduate scholarships are awarded by the departments themselves. For further details please visit the  Funding Postgraduate Studies page, or contact the departments directly.

Can I apply to Royal Holloway through clearing?

For undergraduates only:

Yes, some courses at Royal Holloway do have limited places available during the clearing process in August. In order to apply, you should contact the clearing hotline number, where you can speak with a member of staff who will assess your suitability and, if appropriate, pass your details to the relevant departmental admissions tutor. If you are offered a place at Royal Holloway through clearing, you will need to refer yourself on UCAS track.

If you would like to get in touch about clearing, please call our hotline number of 01784 772455 or visit our clearing pages.

Please note that not all courses will have places available through clearing. A list of courses which have spaces will be hosted on our clearing pages in mid-August.

What is your institution name, code, and campus? 

For UCAS purposes, Royal Holloway, University of London is recognised as RHUL, code R72. We have no campus code as we are based on a single campus.

Can I defer / un-defer my year of entry?

In theory, yes. You should contact the Admissions Office by letter or email. We will then liaise with the department on your behalf.

Whilst this is not usually a problem, offers are made based upon numbers of students, so it may not always be possible. You will be notified by letter once we have received a decision from the department.

I would like to visit Royal Holloway as an exchange student, is this possible?

Royal Holloway welcomes many students on exchange programmes each year. If you would like to find out more, take a look at the  International pages or contact studyabroad@royalholloway.ac.uk.


I have international qualifications, how do I find out my entry requirements?

To find out the entry requirements for any specific country:

Click on the Find Your Course button on any page
Select your chosen course
Click on the 'Entry Requirements' tab
Select your chosen nation from the dropdown menu
The entry requirements for the education qualifications from that country will be shown.

What are the language requirements for non-native speakers of English?

English language requirements vary between departments, requirements for any specific course:

Click on the  Find Your Course button on any page
Select your chosen course
Click on the 'Entry Requirements' tab
The language requirements will be displayed there.

What is an academic transcript?

Postgraduate students should include an official academic transcript with their application. This is an official document from your last institution that illustrates your degree results or current grades. This needs to bear an official stamp from your university.

What happens if I do not meet the conditions of my offer?


If you miss the offer by a reasonable margin, your application is referred back to the department to be reconsidered. If the department(s) feels it is still possible to confirm your place, the Admissions Office are informed and UCAS is contacted with the decision. Should the department feel they can no longer offer you a place, UCAS is informed that your application has been unsuccessful and you are then released to your insurance choice or into Clearing.


All applications are referred back to their departments to be reconsidered. The Admissions Office will then convey all decisions directly to the applicant by letter.

The degree

I have a question about the course, who should I contact?

A query relating to course details such as what subjects you will study and what the timetable might be should be directed to the departmental admissions tutor for undergraduate courses or the programme director for postgraduate courses. Contact details for these can be found on the relevant departmental web pages.

However, any queries relating to your application to a course should go to the relevant F aculty Admissions Officer.

I would like to be considered for an alternative course, what should I do?

Your first step should be to contact the relevant Faculty Admissions Officer, by email or letter. We will then liaise on your behalf with the department(s) concerned. If necessary, your application form will be sent over to the relevant Admissions Tutor to assess.

This does not jeopardise your original course offer until after the new offer is made and replaces it. Once we have a decision from the department, we will contact you by letter. 

When will I receive a reading list?


All undergraduates holding offers can use the status checker to access pdf versions of the departmental reading lists once their status is either firm or insurance. Please note that not all departments provide reading lists.

However, if you go to the status checker, and follow the links for reading lists, you will be advised further regarding your department's policy. 


For advice about reading lists, you will need to contact the departmental administrator. The Admissions Office does not provide reading lists for postgraduate courses.

What's next?

When and how can I apply for accommodation?

Details of halls accommodation and the accommodation applications process are available on the accommodation application website.

Applicants who have accepted their unconditional or conditional offer can apply for accommodation online, from the application opening date. Undergraduate applicants must have accepted Royal Holloway as their firm choice.

How is my fee status assessed?

All undergraduate and postgraduate applicants are initially assessed on the information supplied on their application form by a fully trained member of the admissions team. If you disagree with this initial assessment then you can complete a fee status questionnaire and return it to the Admissions Office.

Note: the Admissions Office us unable to provide fee assessments over the telephone or email, nor is it possible to make an assessment on a student who has not applied to a course at Royal Holloway.

For further guidance, please visit the UKCISA website.

When can I have my CAS reference number to apply for a visa?

In order to receive your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number, you will need to pay a deposit.

Further information about applying for a student visa is available on the International web pages.

For a letter to open a bank account in the United Kingdom you will need to contact the Student Services Centre; once you have formally enrolled with the College at the start of the new academic session and you've collected your College Card, which is proof of enrolment. The Admissions Office is unable to provide these letters as we are not an authorised signatory with UK banks.

I need to apply for student finance, how can I do this?

Please see our Fees and funding site.


Contact us

If you can't find an answer to your question, please enquire here.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback