We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Undergraduate > Applying > Undergraduate & postgraduate FAQs
More in this section Applying

Undergraduate & postgraduate FAQs

Below are some frequently asked questions which you may find useful. If you can't find the answer to a specific query here, or on the Applying pages, please enquire here.


When should I expect to receive a decision regarding my application?

This very much depends on the stage in the application cycle and if your department decides to interview. Not all applicants are interviewed. 

For undergraduates, you should expect to receive a decision or at least been contacted for further information within four weeks. If you have not heard by the end of this period, please contact the Admissions Office

For postgraduate applications, the application process is considerably hindered if you do not supply a complete application to the Admissions Office. You will need to fully complete the application form and supply copies of any relevant academic transcripts.

Some departments also request samples of written / practical work. For all PhD applications, you should include a detailed research proposal to enable the department to identify an appropriate supervisor. A complete application should enable the department to make a decision within four weeks. If you have not heard by the end of this time, please contact the Admissions Office

I missed the UCAS deadline, can I still apply?

Applicants who apply by the UCAS deadline are guaranteed equal consideration with all applications received earlier in the academic cycle. 

Applications received after the UCAS deadline will still be considered if the course remains open, please check UCAS to confirm which courses are still open if you are making a later application.

When can I apply for a scholarship?


If you have made you either a conditional or unconditional offer, you will be able to start applying for scholarships.  Please see our web-site for a full list of our Scholarships and Bursaries.


There are a wide verity of ways to fund your studies at postgraduate level.  From Student loans to Research council funding.  Full information can be found on our Fees and Funding page.

Can I apply to Royal Holloway through clearing?

For undergraduates only:

Yes, some courses at Royal Holloway do have limited places available during the clearing process in August. In order to apply, you should contact the clearing hotline number, where you can speak with a member of staff who will assess your suitability and, if appropriate, pass your details to the relevant departmental admissions tutor. If you are offered a place at Royal Holloway through clearing, you will need to refer yourself on UCAS track.

If you would like to get in touch about clearing, please call our hotline number of 01784 772455 or visit our clearing pages.

Please note that not all courses will have places available through clearing. A list of courses which have spaces will be hosted on our clearing pages in mid-August.

What is your institution name, code, and campus? 

For UCAS purposes, Royal Holloway, University of London is recognised as RHUL, code R72. We have no campus code as we are based on a single campus.

Can I defer / un-defer my year of entry?

In most cases, yes. Simply email the Admissions Office (study@royalholloway.ac.uk) to request a deferral.

Please note that it we do not normally defer places more than 1 year and that places obtained via Clearing may not be eligible for a deferral.  

I would like to visit Royal Holloway as an exchange student, is this possible?

Royal Holloway welcomes many students on exchange programmes each year. If you would like to find out more, take a look at the  International pages or contact studyabroad@royalholloway.ac.uk.


I have international qualifications, how do I find out my entry requirements?

To find out the entry requirements for any specific country:

Click on the Find Your Course button on any page
Select your chosen course
Click on the 'Entry Requirements' tab
Select your chosen nation from the dropdown menu
The entry requirements for the education qualifications from that country will be shown.

What are the language requirements for non-native speakers of English?

English language requirements vary between departments, requirements for any specific course:

Click on the  Find Your Course button on any page
Select your chosen course
Click on the 'Entry Requirements' tab
The language requirements will be displayed there.

What is an academic transcript?

Postgraduate students should include an official academic transcript with their application. This is an official document from your last institution that illustrates your degree results or current grades. This needs to bear an official stamp from your university.

What happens if I do not meet the conditions of my offer?


If you miss the offer by a reasonable margin, your application is referred back to the department to be reconsidered. If the department(s) feels it is still possible to confirm your place, the Admissions Office are informed and UCAS is contacted with the decision. Should the department feel they can no longer offer you a place, UCAS is informed that your application has been unsuccessful and you are then released to your insurance choice or into Clearing.


All applications are referred back to their departments to be reconsidered. The Admissions Office will then convey all decisions directly to the applicant by email.

The degree

I have a question about the course, who should I contact?

A query relating to course details such as what subjects you will study and what the timetable might be should be directed to the departmental admissions tutor for undergraduate courses or the programme director for postgraduate courses. Contact details for these can be found on the relevant departmental web pages.

However, any queries relating to your application please contact the Admissions Office.

I would like to be considered for an alternative course, what should I do?

Please email the Admissions Office (study@royalholloway.ac.uk) to request the change.  If your new course is for a very different subject it would be helpful to include a new personal statement about why you want to study this new programme.  The Admissions Office will then consider your request and let you know whether or not it is possible.

This does not jeopardise your original course offer until after the new offer is made and replaces it. Once we have a decision from the department, we will contact you by letter. 

When will I receive a reading list?

For advice about reading lists, you will need to contact your departmental administrator. 

What's next?

When and how can I apply for accommodation?

Details of halls accommodation and the accommodation applications process are available on the accommodation application website.

Applicants who have accepted their unconditional or conditional offer can apply for accommodation online, from the application opening date. Undergraduate applicants must have accepted Royal Holloway as their firm choice.

How is my fee status assessed?

All undergraduate and postgraduate applicants are initially assessed on the information supplied on their application form by a fully trained member of the admissions team. If you disagree with this initial assessment then you can complete a fee status questionnaire and return it to the Admissions Office.

Note: the Admissions Office us unable to provide fee assessments over the telephone or email, nor is it possible to make an assessment on a student who has not applied to a course at Royal Holloway.

For further guidance, please visit the UKCISA website.

When can I have my CAS reference number to apply for a visa?

In order to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. We will issue a CAS number once:     

  • You have accepted us as your Firm choice        
  • You have met all the conditions of your offer        
  • You have paid a £2,000 deposit.  
  • It is at least 3 months before the start of your programme 

You can check on the applicant portal if you have met this criteria or not.

If you have applied for a pre-sessional programme, you can find advice on the CAS on our visa web pages.

Further information about applying for a student visa is available on the International web pages.

I need to apply for student finance, how can I do this?

Please see our Fees and funding site.


Contact us

If you can't find an answer to your question, please enquire here.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback