We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Research degrees > Fees and funding > AHRC Research Training Support Grant
More in this section scholarships

AHRC Research Training Support Grant

Doctoral students funded by the AHRC (including TECHNE students) can apply to the AHRC Research Training Support Grant to support study visits or conference attendance. Applications can be made at any time. Full details of eligibility for the funding are to be found under 'Payments' in the AHRC’s Training Grant Funding Guide which is available on the 'Current Award Holders' page of the AHRC website. The key points are summarised below.


  • Only AHRC funded doctoral students are eligible
  • The RTSG can be used for UK or overseas study visits for the purposes of conducting primary research, attending conferences or covering primary research costs such as consumables
  • The duration of the study visit should not exceed 12 months
  • Students in their writing-up year are not eligible; students are not normally expected to go on a study visit in the last 3 months of the funded period of their award
  • Students who have previously undertaken eligible activities whilst in receipt of an AHRC award can make a retrospective application, but funding is not guaranteed
  • Students should not normally expect to receive more than one allocation of RTSG funding in the lifetime of their award; in exceptional circumstances up to two applications will be considered
  • Each application should not exceed £750 and may include costs associated with more than one activity.


Applications should be made on this form  by the student and his/her supervisor and should be sent to the Doctoral Training Partnerships Manager. All applications will be acknowledged and may be referred to the Associate Dean (Doctoral School). We expect to inform applicants of the outcome about two weeks after it has been received.


If successful, the applicant should complete a Royal Holloway Expense Claim Form and submit it with receipts to their Department for authorisation in the usual way. The Doctoral Training Partneships Manager will supply a cost code to be used on the Form so that the expense is paid from the central RTSG funds.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback