We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Research degrees > Fees and funding > Research Council scholarships
More in this section scholarships

Research Council scholarships

UK students are eligible for consideration for Research Council (RCUK) funding, which normally covers standard fees at Home/EU rate plus an annual maintenance award (£16,553 in 2017/18 inclusive of £2,000 London allowance). EU students are eligible for consideration for fee-only awards, although some EU students may be eligible for a maintenance award. For full details of eligibility and other terms and conditions please see the RCUK Training Grant Guide and Terms and Conditions of Research Council Training Grants.

UK Research Councils don't give studentship awards directly to students but give them to the College, or to a Doctoral Training Partnership (a consortium of universities) of which the College is a member, for allocation.

In the Arts and Social Sciences Faculty, and the Management and Economics Faculty, College scholarships are awarded through the same application process as AHRC and ESRC scholarships so that by applying for a Research Council scholarship you will be automatically considered for a College scholarship.

Students interested in applying for research funding from a Research Council should enquire with their prospective department.

Research Council funding

Research Council

Discipline / department



Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)

Arts and Humanities, including History and Human Geography

Doctoral only

Please consult our AHRC page for more information

Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)

School of Biological Sciences

Doctoral only

Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)

Computer Science, Information Security, Mathematics, Psychology

Doctoral only

Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)

Social Science, Geography and Psychology

Masters and research

Please consult our ESRC page for more information


Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)

Earth Sciences, Physical Geography, School of Biological Sciences

Doctoral only

Please consult the NERC page for more information

Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)


Doctoral only

Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies



Funding for PhD studentships from the Research Councils and other funding bodies is subject to change at short notice and we cannot be liable for changes. 



College funding


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback