We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Research degrees > Facilities and support
More in this section Research degrees

Facilities and support


You’ll have access to a wide range of facilities and support from your individual department. For example, postgraduate research students become members of research groups within departments that enable informal discussions with a range of experts in their field. 

Departments and research groups also provide regular research seminars and meetings with internal and external speakers. Recent speakers include the RT Hon Vince Cable MP and Professor Lewis Wolpert, CBE, FRS.

You’ll be given designated study spaces and access to computer facilities as well as the libraries on campus and Senate House library in central London. 

We also have an array of facilities on campus including the Boiler House Theatre, Combined Universities Brain Imaging Centre and Particle Physics groups with links with the Large Hadron Collider. 

Academic support

As a research student you’ll be working with a supervisory team comprising a supervisor (or, if appropriate, joint supervisors) and an advisor. 

Supervisors are experts in their field and will offer guidance, address relevant questions and suggest lines of enquiry. 

Advisers provide a second source of academic and pastoral support. You'll be working closely with leading experts, who share your enthusiasm for the subject, enabling you to become a successful independent researcher.

Doctoral school 

Our Doctoral school provides an assortment of courses that enable you to develop generic transferable skills not specific to your area of research. However, these skills will be valuable both during and after your PhD research project. 

The courses take place on campus in Egham, in Central London at Bedford Square or completed online – with the latter ideal for part-time and distance learning postgraduate research students.

Courses on offer include time management, training in academic writing, presentation skills, media awareness and IT, to name just a few. They can be listed under six themes:

  • Research management and critical thinking
  • Written communication
  • Oral communication
  • Career development
  • Information technology
  • Entrepreneurship and ethics.

Courses can also be tailored to the needs of students from particular faculties as well as ones appropriate for students of all disciplines. This gives you an excellent chance to meet and work with students from other subjects.

If you wish to pursue part-time teaching, or are looking to move into a lectureship in the future, there are courses that form part of the inSTIL programme, which prepares you with teaching skills.

Other support services

If you’re an international student interested in a research degree, Royal Holloway International can give you extra English language support

English language courses offered to current students aim to help you meet the challenges of writing up your thesis using the appropriate structure and academic style as well as making sure you don’t feel uncomfortable taking part in academic discussions with native speakers.

For example, in-sessional English language courses and one-to-one writing workshops cover essay-writing skills, how to deliver an effective presentation and discussion skills to aid your postgraduate studies.

International Student Support Office

This service provides advice on living in the UK as an international student, including immigration and visa guidance. Find out more about this team

Student Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service is professionally accredited and offers personal, emotional and psychological support to all students in a confidential, friendly and non-judgemental setting.

Help with a complex range of issues is available including stress, anxiety, cultural issues, relationships, sexuality, alcohol and drugs on an one-to-one basis or in workshops. 

Health Centre

Our Health Centre is for students living on campus or in the local area. 

Residential support

This team promotes a happy hall environment for students living in Royal Holloway accommodation by organising social events and dealing with discipline and welfare issues in halls.

Community Liaison and Support

If you live off-campus in the local area, the above team will provide support.

Student Financial Advice Office

This service provides advice on Access to Learning funds, budgeting, loans and grants.

Educational Support Office (ESO)

The ESO advises students and staff about educational support for disabled students or those with Specific Learning Difficulties, such as dyslexia. This includes provision of specialist hardware and software, note-takers, personal helpers and a specific learning difficulties tutor.

Chaplaincy and Faith Support

Royal Holloway is a multi-faith community with many different beliefs represented on campus and excellent cooperation between faiths.

Take a look at our Support, Health and Welfare page for more information about any of these services. 


Find an expert


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback