We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Royal Holloway halls


Runnymede Hall is located on the south side of the campus near the sports fields. Runnymede houses 400 undergraduate and postgraduate students.


Runnymede offers self catering| en-suite single accommodation in flat style.  Each flat has between six and eight study bedrooms with a shared kitchen/diner.  All en-suites have a shower, sink and toilet. All rooms have wired and wireless internet access.


Quick facts

This is an example table caption
Hall type  Undergraduate / Postgraduate
Capacity 464 
Single-gender No
Catered No
Parking No
Room type Single
Washbasin Yes
Ensuite Yes
Internet access Yes
Let Sessional (UG) / Annual (PG)


What you need to bring

The following domestic notes are to assist students in Runnymede Hall, prior to arrival on campus. 

Please note that these notes are in no way intended to replace information that is in the Terms and Conditions of occupation, which must be referred to.

Letting period

Undergraduate and postgraduate students will not usually share the same flat, apart from in exceptional circumstances. Undergraduates will usually share flats with other undergraduate students, and postgraduates will share flats with other postgraduate students.

Undergraduate students in Runnymede Hall have a sessional contract, whilst postgraduate students have an annual contract.

Undergraduate students with a sessional contract are entitled to occupy their room and leave their belongings within their room for the full duration of the academic year, from September to June, including the Christmas and Easter vacations.

Postgraduate students with an annual contract are entitled to occupy their room for the full 50 weeks of the contract, from September to September, and may occupy their room during the Christmas and Easter vacations. Postgraduate students with an annual contract are responsible for the room for the full 50 weeks of the contract.


Each study bedroom in Runnymede is equipped with:

  • one desk with drawer
  • metal waste paper bin
  • one swivel chair on casters (Runnymede 2 Hall rooms only)
  • one desk chair with arms (Runnymede 1 Hall rooms only)
  • book shelf  
  • pair of lined curtains
  • wardrobe with three hangers
  • one hall guide 
  • single bed with mattress (190cm x 90cm; has under-bed storage)
  • desk lamp
  • fire door with door closer and fire notice.

* Please note no additional/personal furniture is allowed without the permission of the Campus Services Manager or, in his/her absence, the Head of Campus Services.

The average room size is 14.5m2  (L= 5400 x D=2696)

Bedding and linen

Each study bedroom has the following items provided:

  • mattress protector
  • single duvet
  • two pillows with two under pillowcases.

You should bring your own sheets, duvet cover and pillowcase.  Students must also provide their own towels, washcloths etc.

En-suite facilities

Each room has en-suite facilities comprising a washbasin, toilet and shower. 

A toilet roll is supplied at the start of term with students expected to provide their own when it is gone.


A kitchen is available within each house/flat and provides the following equipment for student use:

  • single sink with draining board
  • microwave
  • work surface
  • iron and ironing board
  • fridge freezer
  • electric cooker
  • kettle
  • toaster

The kitchens are fitted with 13 amp sockets.

You will need to bring your own cups, plates, cutlery, utensils, washing-up materials and tea towels as these are not provided. 

You must not bring your own rice cooker. Kitchens are cleaned daily between Monday and Friday, but it is your joint responsibility to ensure the cleanliness of the communal areas. Please clean and wash up after using the kitchen. 

Electrical equipment

Each room is fitted with two 13 amp square pin sockets, but the power rating in the bedroom is rated at a maximum of 500 watts. 

As a guide, radios, CD players, iPod docks and portable TVs will work, but straighteners and hairdryers over 500 watts will fuse your own and other study bedrooms as well. We encourage all students to have their electrical equipment PAT tested prior to moving into Halls to ensure safety.

For additional safety, the 13 amp plugs used on small appliances in your bedroom should be fitted with three amp fuses. The use of cooking equipment such as toasters, kettles and fridges are forbidden in bedrooms under the Terms and Conditions| of your contract. Only the equipment provided by the hall may be used in the kitchens.

Most of the wattage in the Halls does allow for computers with limited additions, such as a printer. All rooms have wireless and wired internet access. 

Regular electrical inspections are carried out and students found to have broken College safety regulations will be charged for repairs and/or fined.

Fire safety

Please ensure you read the Fire Regulations posted on your bedroom door. Fire drills are held annually and fire alarm tests are held weekly.

You are reminded that it is a breach of College Regulations not to evacuate the building in the event of a fire alarm. Misuse of fire equipment or failure to evacuate the building during an alarm will lead to disciplinary action being taken by the Residential Support Coordinator (or their nominee).

You are not allowed to cook food, use toasters or kettles in your study bedrooms as steam and smoke will set off the detectors that are installed in all bedrooms. Cooking is only permitted within kitchen areas provided in self-catered halls and the pantries in catered halls.

Fire doors must be kept closed.

You are reminded that students are not permitted to smoke in the study bedrooms; smoke will set off the fire alarms which are installed in all bedrooms.

Misuse of fire safety equipment and/or malicious activation of fire alarms are a criminal offence and will result in disciplinary action, with the possibility of at least a fine of up to £500 and/or a request to leave hall.

TV licence

Students are reminded that a TV licence is legally required for televisions used in study bedrooms. 

A TV licence is also required if you watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV – whether you are using a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, VHS/DVD recorder or anything else. .


The College does not accept liability for loss or damage to any resident's possessions at any time and students must take out personal insurance if they wish to be covered. 

Room cleaning

You are responsible for cleaning your own room and supplying your own cleaning materials. The College supplies vacuum cleaners, dust pans and brushes, and mops and buckets. Residents are held collectively responsible for this equipment and will be charged in the event of a loss or damage. 

Room checks are undertaken regularly throughout the three terms by Housekeepers / Management to monitor levels of cleanliness. Rooms found to be consistently below par may incur a cleaning charge.

Repairs and maintenance

Maintenance requests and breakages must be reported to your nearest Customer Services Point. 

Whenever possible students are given advance notice of staff entering their rooms, but this is not always possible. Please be aware that Campus Services staff and Maintenance Staff have the right to enter rooms for inspections, safety, or repair purposes

Laundry facilities

There are laundry facilities on campus, which are open 7.30am-10pm weekdays and 8.30am-10pm weekends. The allocated laundry for Runnymede Hall is located in the Lower Ground Floor of The Hub. These are operated via a pre-pay card system.

Runnymede kitchens are equipped with an iron and ironing board.


There are no parking facilities for students resident on the main campus. Residents of this Hall are not permitted to bring a car to the College.


Incoming mail is placed in pigeonholes in the Hub Reception for students to collect. To assist you in receiving your mail quickly, please ensure that it is correctly addressed as below:


    Room Number

    Runnymede Hall

    Royal Holloway, University of London


    Surrey TW20 0EX

Hall Reception

Your Hall Reception is The Hub Reception.


Support while you're in halls

Making sure our students feel safe and comfortable in their homes is important to us.  We have the following support in place for students living in Halls: 

Campus services

This is the section responsible for your overall experience of living in halls, with particular responsibility for the buildings and services on site. 

Each Hall has a Customer Services Point where residents can report maintenance problems, top up their College card, and gain advice on any complaints or concerns. 

These points are staffed from 7am-10pm daily (The Hub and Kingswood), 8am–10pm Monday–Friday and 9am–5pm at weekends (Founder’s) and 9am–5pm Monday–Friday (Highfield Court).

Security services

College Security are available on campus 24-7 with their main office located in Founders Building and two further locations at the Hub and Kingswood between 7pm-7am. 

Officers monitor campus activities on CCTV and with patrols, attending any fire activations and disturbances on campus, as well as ensuring that areas are safe and secure. 

Students on campus can call Security at any time with urgent concerns, if they need the emergency services, or if they are being disturbed by significant noise after 11pm on telephone number 01784 44 3063.

Campus watch

Royal Holloway is undoubtedly one of the safest campuses in the UK.

We encourage students and staff to work together to reduce the risks within the College and the surrounding areas. 

Publications offer tips and advice, and security services are contactable 24-7. Students can also speak with Support & Advisory Services staff and the Students' Union.

Residential support

The Residential Support Office for all resident students is located in the International Building room 008, and staff are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

The Residential Support Team is primarily concerned with the welfare of resident students. A minimum framework of regulations is designed to ensure a safe and pleasant living and working environment for everyone. Social events are organised throughout the year to welcome students and to encourage integration.

Each Hall has a team of Residential Support Assistants who are available in the evenings and weekends (excluding periods of College closure, eg. public holidays) to support students with a variety of issues e.g. noise complaints, flat meetings, emergencies, fire alarms, mediation and urgent concerns.

Hall discipline is also handled by the Residential Support Office.

For further details, please refer to the Residential Support webpages|.





We look forward to welcoming you to Runnymede Hall



Which hall is for you?



Undergraduate halls 

Undergraduate and postgraduate halls

Postgraduate halls



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback