We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here home > Accommodation > Disability related priority
More in this section Accommodation

Disability related priority

Royal Holloway recognises its duty to provide services and facilities to disabled students, students with medical conditions or special psychological needs, to ensure that they are not disadvantaged in the pursuit of their education.  

As living arrangements can have a large impact on a student's ability to engage in the learning activities required by College programmes, a facility is available to enable disabled students to be placed in particular Halls of Residence which best meet their individual requirements. 

Full-time students who will be attending the College for at least one academic year who have a medical condition or special psychological need that meets the definition of "disability" as defined by the Equality Act 2010 may be eligible for priority.  

The Equality Act 2010 defines a person as disabled if they have "a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities".  

For the purposes of determining priority to accommodation, "day-to-day activities" will be considered as the normal activities for a student of the College.  

When making your online application you will be asked if you have a medical requirement and will automatically be sent a form to complete and return to our Disability and Dyslexia Services Office.

Students with chronic medical conditions or severe special psychological needs must contact the Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO), and submit documentation of their condition as follows: 

Entering students may submit documentation from a doctor, psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. All documentation must be in English and should be on headed paper. It must include a diagnosis, prognosis, examples of day-to-day activities where the student may encounter difficulties, and subsequent recommendations regarding accommodation. 

Returning students have to complete a request form and submit it to the Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO) with supporting documentation from the College Health Centre. Documentation from outside the College is not acceptable. In cases where a student is not registered at the Health Centre, they should contact the Health Centre to make an appointment to see a doctor for an assessment for priority.  

Students may bring documentation from their own doctor to their assessment meeting at the Health Centre. Students are not normally examined in the meeting, but rather are invited to discuss their condition and requirements in order for a report to be made to the Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO). 

In general, students with chronic medical conditions or severe special psychological needs would be expected to identify any support requirements, including special accommodation arrangements during the admissions process.  

Students who did not, or could not, identify their accommodation requirements during admissions must meet the deadlines listed in the next tab to have appropriate requirements fully addressed. 

Accommodation cannot be guaranteed should a submission be made after the advertised deadline dates.  

Although the College will always seek to make a reasonable adjustment, once allocation of rooms is completed, the amount of adjustment possible is greatly diminished and normally only students who are newly diagnosed with a condition, who suffer a significant unexpected worsening of a condition or who are injured after the deadline dates are eligible to be considered for priority after these dates. 

This is particularly true if the requested adjustment concerns accommodation on the main campus, accommodation with an en-suite bathroom or accommodation with self-catering, since the number of rooms with such facilities is limited and demand for them is high. 

Legislation does not normally require or indeed allow the College to withdraw a room offer from a student without a disability in order to accommodate disabled students who have failed to alert the College adequately at the appropriate time, so the College will not do this.  

Therefore students are strongly advised to make the College aware of any specific requirements relating to their disability at the appropriate time. 

Under new legislation, once a student makes known a "disability" to any area of a Higher Education Institution, all areas of that institution are expected to make reasonable adjustments to policy, procedures and practices to ensure that the student is not disadvantaged as compared to other students.  

The only exception to this is information given to doctors, counsellors or chaplains, who are bound by professional codes of conduct. College doctors, counsellors and chaplains. therefore, will only share information about a "disability" with the institution with the expressed consent of the student. 

Due to the new legislation, information received by the Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO) in support of an application for priority to accommodation may be shared with other relevant College staff, including staff within academic departments and Halls of residence. 

Information about a student's condition and disability will be treated as sensitive and confidential and will never be shared with other students or with any individuals outside of the institution without the expressed consent of the student. 

Students who have any concerns about the confidentiality policy should discuss them with a member of the Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO) staff.  

Appeals process 

Any student who believes that they have not been appropriately considered for priority accommodation may appeal in writing to the Head of Support and Advisory Services.  

This appeal should be made in writing within two weeks of the date upon which they were first informed of the decision against which they wish to appeal. Where the disputed decision concerns the allocation of a room, the date will be considered to be the date the student was informed of the allocation, not the date from which the accommodation contract is due to start.  

It is the student's responsibility to take all reasonable steps to ensure that an allocated room meets their needs before accepting the allocation; upgrades can rarely be considered at the commencement of the letting period since room availability at that time is at its most limited.   

Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO) contact details 

Website: Disability & Dyslexia Services (ESO) 

Tel: 01784 276473 

Email: disability-dyslexia@royalholloway.ac.uk 

Location: Founder's Building West 151 


Student FAQs

If there's something you're not sure about, please refer to our Student FAQs

If your answer is not there, please use the contact details below.

Apply for accommodation

Make your application for student accommodation online.

Please click here to log-in to your accommodation account

Contact us

E. Student Services Centre

Tel: +44 (0)1784 276641


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback