We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here home > Accommodation > Short-term accommodation – what if I don't want a contract for a full year?
More in this section FAQ items - students

Short-term accommodation – what if I don't want a contract for a full year?

Short-term accommodation – what if I don't want a contract for a full year?

Assured Shorthold Tenancies

Some landlords will offer 9, 10 and 11 month contracts, though these are not as common as 12 month contracts. If you would prefer a shorter contract you could always query this with your prospective landlord when you are making enquiries and conducting viewings, and they may consider this, although they are not obliged to offer you a shorter contract.

Resident Landlord / Lodgings accommodation

For students seeking short-term accommodation we recommend that they look through the Resident Landlord adverts on HouseSearch. For students living in resident landlord accommodation, if you have a Licence agreement there is not normally a strongly defined period of stay. If you wish to leave your lodgings you are only legally required to give ‘reasonable notice’ before leaving, which, depending upon the frequency of your rent instalments, could be a week or a month. Nonetheless, it is good practice and common courtesy to be honest and frank with your landlord about the expected period which you intend to stay. Bear in mind also that ‘reasonable notice’ works both ways, and a landlord is also only legally required to give ‘reasonable notice’ of eviction. It is possible, however, to find Fixed Term agreements being offered by resident landlords - these commit you to renting the room for a set period of time, and should detail any notice provisions (reasonable notice will not automatically apply). Therefore, it is important to check the agreement before you sign it.

Temporary accommodation

Resident landlords are often able to offer accommodation on a more flexible basis than any other type of accommodation in the local area, but you should enquire with the landlord as to how long they would be prepared to accommodate you. For students seeking accommodation for a few nights or more then we are happy to supply a list of local guesthouses upon request by email to studentaccommodation@rhul.ac.uk. Temporary accommodation is also available on campus in The Hub guesthouse.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback