We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here home > Accommodation > Leaving - can I leave my private sector contract?
More in this section FAQ items - students

Leaving - can I leave my private sector contract?

Leaving - can I leave my private sector contract?

If you want to leave your house then there is nothing stopping you from leaving the property itself; however, you would still remain liable for your rent as long as the contract is still valid. Breaking a contract and ceasing your liability for your rent is not an easy process, particularly if you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. If you are in Resident Landlord accommodation (Lodgings), depending on what is written in your contract, it may be easier to leave your contract; please see here for further details.

To be released from your Assured Shorthold Tenancy contract you should first contact your landlord to discuss the matter. Ordinarily, a landlord may ask that you seek another student to take over your share of the tenancy. Obviously this will all be affected by the type of tenancy signed (please see this FAQ for more information on the different types of contracts). If your landlord agrees to release you from the contract, he may ask you to sign a ‘Surrender of Tenancy’ form. This is written confirmation that both landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy has come to an end. Make sure you receive a copy of this form. Surrender of Tenancy may be implied by actions, such as the tenant returning keys or a landlord moving a replacement tenant into the property, though written confirmation is preferable.

If you are giving up your Joint Contract to a new tenant then the landlord should surrender the joint tenancy already in place and ask the new group of tenants to sign a new tenancy agreement or assign your contract to the new tenant by a witnessed deed.

Leaving your private sector contract to move into halls

All students should note that we cannot offer a room to students who are already in a private sector contract. Students leaving private sector contracts early must provide evidence that they have been released from their contract; this can be a signed Surrender of Tenancy or a letter from your former landlord. If you are released from liability due to the contract expiring then we will need to view the contract in order to confirm that this is the case. Please note also, our ability to offer a room depends entirely upon the availability of rooms and the activity upon the waiting list at the time. Therefore it will be best to contact Student Accommodation directly to assess the situation.



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback