We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section How to apply

New undergraduates

When can I apply?                                                              

If you have selected Royal Holloway as your firm choice for a full-time programme you can apply for accommodation for your first year of study.

If you make Royal Holloway your insurance choice you will not be eligible to apply for accommodation. If you are not accepted by your firm choice institution we will review your application and decide if we can accept you at Royal Holloway. If you are accepted by us, Royal Holloway will automatically become your firm choice and you can then apply for accommodation.

Our accommodation guarantee for 2017/18

We guarantee a room in Halls to all new undergraduates who make us their firm choice in UCAS.

Submitting an application

You can submit your application for accommodation via the online accommodation system. You'll need to register on the system before you can make an application.

Frequently asked questions


How is my room allocated?

For more information about the allocation process, please visit our Room Allocation webpage.

How do I choose which Hall is best for me?  

If you are struggling to decide which bands should be at the top of your preferences, take a look at our guidance below.


If you're applying for a maintenance loan from Student Finance to help cover your accommodation fees we recommend you use the Student Finance Calculator to estimate how much loan you’ll receive before you submit your application. Once you know roughly how much loan you’ll receive, you can add your preferences in order of what you can afford. 

You can view the full list of Halls of Residence fees online but if you’re looking for the cheapest accommodation options, single standard Band E, shared standard Band K, single standard Band J and shared standard Band L might be best for you.


We offer both self-catered and catered pay-as-you-go Halls at Royal Holloway. If the Hall is self-catered, this means that it comes with a shared kitchen where you can cook your own food. If the Hall is catered pay-as-you-go, you’ll have access to a pantry with a fridge and microwave so you can make drinks and snacks and you’ll buy your meals from your Hall’s dining hall (at a discounted rate). 

For a quick breakdown on which bands are catered pay-as-you-go or self-catered, please see the Halls of Residence fees information.

Our dining halls cater for a range of dietary requirements (e.g. vegan and halal). If there isn't an option on the menu, all you need to do is let the member of staff at the food counter know and they’ll cook something for you fresh.

Take a look at the food outlets available at Royal Holloway to get an idea of what’s on offer for you. To find out which dining hall is allocated to each catered pay-as-you-go Hall, please visit the Living in Halls webpages. 

Bathroom facilities

Some of our Halls offer en-suite facilities which means you’ll have access to your own toilet, sink and shower. Others have shared facilities which means that you’ll share a bathroom with other students in your flat or corridor (you may still have your own sink in your room).

For a quick breakdown on which bands have shared or en-suite bathroom facilities, please see the Halls of Residence fees information. Please be aware, en-suite rooms are often the most expensive so you might want to take a look at your budget before you finalise your preferences.

Medical priority

If you have a medical condition or disability that means you need to live in Halls of Residence, you’ll have to register with the Disability and Dyslexia Services team as well as submitting an application for accommodation before the application window closes. If you’re assessed as needing priority by our Disability and Dyslexia Services team, you’ll be allocated a room (subject to availability) based on the assessment of your needs.

For full information about the facilities of all our Halls of Residence, visit our Living in Halls webpages.

Key dates to remember

Guaranteed accommodation for new undergraduates joining us in September 2017.





Apply for accommodation







Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback