Dorm at Royal Holloway

Move to a different room, Hall or property

How to leave Halls or apply to move rooms.


I wanted to live in a different hall to the one I’ve been offered, what can I do?

If you’re not completely happy with the accommodation offer you’ve received but you would still like to live in Halls, there is the potential you can move to a vacant room (subject to availability) from Monday 2 October 2017.

What do I need to do?

You would need to accept the accommodation offer you’ve received and move into that room at the start of term. If you then decide, after living in the room, that you would still like to move rooms you can submit a Room Move Request from 2 October. There’s no guarantee that we’ll have an alternative room to move you to so you should only accept your accommodation offer if you would be willing to live in your original room for the duration of the contract. For further information please read our Room Move Policy 2017/18.

Remember if you decline your offer, you won’t receive another offer of accommodation for the 2017/18 academic year and you’ll need to look at accommodation options in the private sector.

Resolving a problem in my flat

We hope you’ll enjoy your time in Halls and we have support available to help you feel welcomed, settled and part of your Hall community. Once you’ve moved in, if you have any concerns with your accommodation, it’s important that you let the correct team within the College know so that they can work with you to resolve any issues:

Commercial Services

These include the housekeeping and maintenance teams. If you need to report anything that’s broken or damaged, you can do this through your Halls Reception and they’ll arrange for this to be fixed or replaced as quickly as possible.

Hall Life

The Hall Life team are here to promote a happy Hall environment for everyone living at Royal Holloway through events and campaigns to help bring the Halls community together. Through peer-to-peer support, the Hall Life team can also assist with kitchen flat meetings to address any concerns or issues and deal with discipline. If you wish to report issues of noise, in particular after 11pm, it’s important that you call Campus Security so that they try to resolve the issue. Security will then compile an Incident Report Form which will be passed to the Hall Life team to deal with under the College Disciplinary procedures.

The Hall Life Team can be contacted via email: or visiting INTER-038 Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm. During term time you can visit your Hall Life Duty Officer in the Emily Wilding Davison building each evening between 7pm and 9pm.

If you’re unable to resolve the concerns in your flat after seeking support from the Hall Life team, you may be able to move rooms if one is available. The Room Move Policy is designed so that those requesting to move rooms feel encouraged and supported to try to resolve any differences before looking for alternative living arrangements. Please read our Room Move Policy 2017/18 for full details on how to apply to move to a vacant room.

I want to leave my Hall

If you want to leave your room in Halls, you need to let us know. To give notice on your room, you need to:

  • log into the online accommodation system
  • click the “Request to Leave Accommodation” button under the “Your Room” column on the right hand side of the homepage
  • fill in the details about when you would like to leave and why
  • submit the form

Students submitting notice to leave their room because they’re withdrawing or interrupting their studies will have their request processed and will receive an email from us stating their overall accommodation fee liability.

If you’re continuing your studies at Royal Holloway, you’ll only be released from your contract if we can find someone (e.g. on a waiting list) to take over your room, and once you’ve paid a £100 administration fee. Once we’ve received your request, we’ll be in touch if we’re able to find someone to take over your contract. If there isn’t anyone on the waiting list then you will be able to try and find someone to take over your contract.

Remember you will remain liable for your room’s accommodation fees until your contract has been successfully transferred.

Don’t forget to check out!

Don't forget to check out at your Halls Reception when you physically move out of your room! If you don't check out, we won't know that your room is empty and available to offer to another student.

Find out more