...about enrolment for new students

Can I get an Oyster card?

Royal Holloway is registered with Transport for London for the 18+ Student Oyster photocard scheme. For more information and links to check your eligibility, and to submit an online application please click here (select ‘Trains’ tab). Please note only students resident at a London address during term-time are eligible for this concession. If you are contracted to halls accommodation you should not apply as the campus is situated outside of the Greater London Area.

Can I park on campus and do I need a permit?

Students residing on the main campus are not permitted to bring their cars onto the campus. Limited parking is available and the highest priority is given to students who live outside of a 1.5 mile radius of the College.

To obtain a permit you need to go to the Windsor Building room 005 during enrolment week or the Security Office in Founder’s East (room FE48) throughout the rest of the year. You will need to present an insurance cover note, the vehicle’s registration document or proof of ownership, your College Card, plus proof of your name and address.

Will I get a confirmation email after I’ve completed the different steps of enrolment?

We do not send out enrolment emails, however to help you keep track of which enrolment steps you have completed, and those which are yet to happen, you will be able to view your enrolment checklist through Campus Connect (see Enrolment tab) from Monday 7 September onwards.

Can you confirm my status as a student?

On occasion you may be asked to provide confirmation of your status as a student (e.g. for council tax purposes or opening a bank account). Provided you have completed College enrolment (online sign-up, tuition fee payment and identity check), you will be able to download a Student Status Certificate from Campus Connect.

For further details about Student Status Certificates, please click here.

How can I change my degree programme?

To request to change your programme of study once the academic year has started on September 21st you will need to go to the administrative office of the department you wish to join to pick up a Change of Degree form. For an overview of the process please select the relevant link:

To find out whether you can change your degree programme prior to the start of the academic year, please contact the Admissions team in the first instance quoting your Royal Holloway student ID number and the name of the course you wish to change to.

How can I extend my visa in the UK?

The International Student Support Office in the International Building room 009 is available to assist students with visa applications. Please click here for more information.

How can I register with the Health Centre?

For full details on registration with the College’s on-site Health Centre and information on the documents you will be required to bring with you please check our Health Centre web page.

How can I register with the police?

International students may need to register with the Police for the period they will be living in the UK: please check your visa to see if this requirement is relevant to you. To access details of when the Police will be at the College and how to make an appointment please click here

When can I move into my room on campus?

If you are a new undergraduate student you will be sent an email in September asking you to book a slot for checking into your room on campus. In most cases, this will be Saturday 19 September. If you are a new postgraduate student you will be able to book a slot to move into campus accommodation from 10am on Sunday 20 September 2015.

When do I have to pay for my campus accommodation?

The deadline for payment of the first term’s campus accommodation fees is Friday 2 October 2015. The recommended payment method is online via the epay system. Click here for more information on all the payment methods available.

Some of you will have been able to accept your halls contract without needing to make a £300 prepayment. As long as you were able to, and went through the steps of accepting the contract online, you will have secured your room on campus. This just means that those of you who didn’t make the £300 prepayment will need to pay your first term’s accommodation fees in full by the deadline. If on the other hand you did make the prepayment you can deduct the £300 from your first term’s invoice.

When will I get my loan?

Your student loan payment will be released once we have advised the Student Loans Company (SLC) that you have completed your 2015/16 enrolment (known as ‘Confirming Attendance’). The College will do this automatically once we have received your electronic file from the SLC, and you are regarded as fully enrolled. It is not necessary to present a Student Finance England Entitlement letter, or Payment Schedule letter to us to receive your student loan.

To be fully enrolled you will need to have:

  • completed online sign-up
  • completed identity check
  • provided proof of an agreed loan for fees, or
  • paid the full amount of any tuition fee liability you have for 2015/16 or the minimum instalment (50% of tuition fees if the amount is over £2,000) due at the start of the 2015/16 academic year.

And, to be eligible to have your attendance confirmed to the SLC we also need to have:

  • had your tuition fee and/or loan information communicated to Royal Holloway by the SLC, i.e. confirmation that your SLC/SFE application has been fully processed and that your loan should be available for payment. Please note confirming attendance before this step will not result in your loan being paid more quickly.

When will I find out whether or not I’ve got a bursary?

Students eligible for non-competitive bursaries and scholarships will receive an email in October confirming their eligibility and providing further information. If you believe you are eligible but have not heard anything by the beginning of November pleasecontact the Bursaries team quoting your Royal Holloway student ID number and your Student Finance England Customer Reference Number.

I’m having trouble accessing my Royal Holloway email account. Help!

To be able to access your College account for the first time you will need to change the password we emailed you; click here for information on how to change your password. Once you’ve changed your password, remember to enter your username as per the instructions available online.