Many departments within the College employ students, providing convenient job opportunities to fit alongside your studies.
Competition tends to be high, so you should try not to restrict your job hunt to the confines of the college. Working for a local employer can give you broad experience, and may even lead to full-time work during the vacations.
You may also find it useful to attend our Part-time Jobs Fair, held in September and January of each academic year. Here, lots of employers come on campus with permanent positions and casual vacancies ready to fill. To find out more visit the Fairs page.
The Careers and Employability Service is available to help you find employment, but we do not directly place students. Securing an on-campus job will require you to take initiative, just like finding one off-campus.
It is important to remember that if you are a current student wishing to work part-time during term-time, then you should work no more than 20 hours a week. Anything over this is likely to interfere with your studies. International students are subject to the terms of their student visa.
Below is a list of jobs that students traditionally hold at Royal Holloway. Not all of these jobs are currently available, and not all will recruit on an annual basis (most only have vacancies when their student employees leave or graduate). Check the relevant ‘availability’ section to determine whether or not the department has open positions.
Jobs available on Campus
Department: Careers & Employability
- Roles Available: Events Assistants, Application Advisers and casual vacancies for specific events
- Number of positions: 9
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place in June. Vacancies are advertised online via: main jobs portal, Careers & Employability Service social media: facebook.com/rhcareers or @rhcareers (twitter)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Conferencing and Catering
- Roles available: Bar Staff, Catering Assistants, Baristas, Silver Service Staff, Conference Assistants (vacation periods)
- Number of positions available: 300
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place following A-level results day and in the spring term. Vacancies are advertised via posters and/or flyers in all catering outlets and poster boards across campus. To apply please email a recent CV alongside a covering letter to the contact email address.
- Contact: email@example.com
Department: Customer Services Team
- Roles available: Various positions in Customer Services. Candidates need to be prepared to work ‘unsociable hours’ i.e. evenings and weekends.
- Number of positions: 10
- Recruitment details: Recruitment occurs when current staff leave. Vacancies advertised via posters in halls of residence. Short term opportunities are available for welcome weekend and week leading up to it in September. CVs can also be handed in at reception points.
- Contact: CustomerServicevacancies@rhul.ac.uk
Department: Disability and Dyslexia Service
- Roles available: Student Helper
- Number of positions: Approx. 40
- Recruitment details: Recruitment takes place in May and interviews take place at the end of May or beginning of June. Student Helper Training takes place in early September before the start of term.
- Contact: Susan.Jewitt@royalholloway.ac.uk
Department: Hall Life Team
- Roles available: Hall Life Duty Officer Hall Life Assistant
- Number of positions: 30. Duty Officer: (6 per year) Assistant: (24 per year)
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment mostly takes place between January and March.
- Vacancies are advertised in January, shortlisting takes place in February and interviews are held in March. Vacancies are advertised on the student intranet but applications are made through the main jobs portal.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: International Student Support Office
- Roles available: Airport Student Ambassador
- Number of positions: 10
- Recruitment Details: Students work on Welcome Weekend in September greeting new international students at Heathrow. Recruitment takes place in the summer term for the coming September.
- Contact: email@example.com
Department: IT Services
- Roles available: Laptop Support and Lab Checkers, IT Training Tutors, IT Training Assistants
- Number of positions: 40
- Recruitment Details: Applicants will be kept on file and recruitment occurs when vacancies become available
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Library Services
- Roles available: Evening / Weekend Assistants
- Number of positions: 7
- Recruitment details: Recruitment usually takes place in July / August, but there may be a need to recruit at other times of the year.
- Vacancies are advertised via the main jobs portal. Desirable skills for this role are good customer service or previous library experience, IT literacy, good communication skills, commitment and reliability.
- Roles available: Administration Assistants, Admissions Assistant, Chaplaincy and Weddings Coordinator, Clearing staff, Counsellor, Filming & Editing Assistants, Mystery Shopper, Picture Gallery Tour Guide, Student Ambassadors, Applicant Services Assistant
- Number of positions: Approx. 40
- (majority during clearing week)
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment via the campus intranet and student ambassador mailings.
- Contact: email@example.com
Department: (Library) Stock Management Assistants
- Roles available: Stock Management Assistants
- Number of positions: 8* (flexible)
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place in the middle of September, but there may be a need to recruit at other times of the year. Vacancies are advertised on the Royal Holloway Jobs page. Desirable skills are customer service or previous library experience, numerical literacy, commitment and reliability.
Department: Student Administration
- Roles available: Enrolment (Welcome Week) Assistants, Exam Invigilators, Graduation Assistants
- Number of positions: 140.
- (Majority only during exams, which is only open to PGR.)
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment starts in early spring term ahead of exams and again in summer term ahead of graduation. Vacancies are advertised via posters and the College Website.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Students’ Union
- Roles available: Bar Staff, Security Staff, Tech Crew, Union Shop Assistants, Promotional Staff, Photographers, Graphic Designers, Helpdesk Assistants, SSHH Bus Drivers.
- Number of positions: Approx. 200
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place during September/October and March/April. Vacancies are advertised via the Students’ Union website: su.rhul.ac.uk/jobs
- To apply, you need to go to their web site and then click on ‘Work With Us’. This will take you to all of their current vacancies.
- Contact: Ewelina.Wetherall@su.rhul.ac.uk
Department: UK Student Recruitment
- Roles available: Student Ambassadors
- Number of positions: Approx. 80
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment takes place in autumn for Postgraduate students and everyone else in summer term. Vacancies are advertised via the Royal Holloway website, posters and university’s digital signage. Training is provided.
- Contact: email@example.com
For more information please click through the link:
Comprehensive Part-time work information