We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Kingswood II

Former monastery, Kingswood Hall is situated one mile from the main campus in the village of Englefield Green. 

Kingswood has a particularly strong community feeling, with many students enjoying the relative quiet it offers. There is a free bus service connecting Kingswood to the main campus throughout the day and evening. Walking to the main campus takes about 20 minutes.


Kingswood II offers en-suite accommodation to more than 200 students. Facilities at Kingswood include squash and tennis courts, a TV/common room, computer room and laundry. 

Students are also well catered for at Kingswood, with KW’s Dining Hall and the 8Bar9 student bar on site.

All rooms are single and include a toilet and shower room. Grouped into flats of six to nine rooms, all residents have access to a pantry where hot drinks and snacks may be prepared. 

All rooms have wired and wireless internet access. Wireless internet access is also available in the computer room. Students with cars may bring and park them on the Kingswood site.

 Kingswood II interior

Quick Facts             

This is an example table caption
Hall type  Undergraduate          
Capacity 212                              
Single-gender Some                            
Catered Yes                               
Parking Yes                               
Room type Single         
Washbasin Yes
Ensuite Yes
Internet access Yes                                
Let Sessional                     


What you need to bring

The following domestic notes are to assist students in Kingswood Hall, prior to arrival. 

Please note that these notes are in no way intended to replace information that is in the Hall Guide or the Terms and Conditions of occupation, both of which are provided either upon arrival or under separate cover and must be referred to.

Letting period

Kingswood 2 Hall has a sessional contract. You are entitled to occupy your room and leave your belongings within your room for the full duration of the academic year, from September to June, including the Christmas and Easter vacations.


Each study bedroom in Kingswood II is equipped with:

  • one desk with three drawers
  • one book shelf
  • one desk chair and lamp
  • lined curtains
  • one wardrobe with three coat hangers
  • one single bed and mattress
  • one metal waste paper bin
  • one hall guide
  • one fire door with door closer and fire notice.

* Please note no additional/personal furniture is allowed without the permission of the Campus Services Manager or, in his/her absence, the Head of Campus Services.

Bedding and linen

Each study bedroom has the following items provided:

  • one mattress protector
  • two pillows and under pillow cases
  • one single duvet.

You should also bring your own sheets, duvet cover and pillowcases as well as your own towels.

En-suite facilities

Each room has en-suite facilities comprising a washbasin, toilet and shower.

A toilet roll is supplied at the start of term with students expected to provide their own when it is gone.


Pantries within the Hall provide the following equipment for student use: 

  • a small work surface
  • a sink
  • a microwave
  • a kettle
  • a toaster
  • a larder refrigerator.

Please note, pantries are shared by eight or nine people and are simply for the preparation of beverages and light snacks, as Kingswood 2 is a catered pay-as-you-go |Hall. 

Pantries are cleaned daily (Monday-Friday). You will need to bring your own cups, plates, utensils and washing-up equipment, as these are not provided.

Electrical equipment

Each room is fitted with two 13 amp square pin sockets, but it is important to note that the power rating in the bedroom is rated at a maximum of 500 watts. 

As a guide, radios, CD players, iPod docks and portable TVs will work. Straighteners and hairdryers over 500 watts will fuse your own and other study bedrooms as well. We encourage all students to have their electrical equipment PAT tested prior to moving into Halls.

For additional safety, the 13 amp plugs used on small appliances in bedrooms must be fitted with three amp fuses. The use of any cooking equipment, such as toasters, kettles and fridges, are forbidden in bedrooms under the Terms and Conditions| of your contract. Only the equipment provided by the Hall may be used in the pantries. 

Most of the wattage in the Hall does allow for computers with limited additions, such as a printer. All rooms have wireless and wired internet access. 

Regular electrical inspections are carried out and students found to have broken College safety regulations will be charged for repairs and/or fined.

Fire safety

Please ensure you read the Fire Regulations posted on your bedroom door. Fire drills are held annually and fire alarm tests are held weekly

You are reminded that it is a breach of College Regulations not to evacuate the building in the event of a fire alarm. Misuse of fire equipment or failure to evacuate the building during an alarm will lead to disciplinary action being taken by the Residential Support Coordinator (or their nominee).

You are not allowed to cook food, use toasters or kettles in your study bedrooms as steam and smoke will set off the detectors that are installed in all bedrooms. Cooking is only permitted within kitchen areas provided in self-catered halls and the pantries in catered halls.

Fire doors must be kept closed.

You are reminded that students are not permitted to smoke in the study bedrooms; smoke will set off the fire alarms which are installed in all bedrooms.

Misuse of fire safety equipment and/or malicious activation of fire alarms are criminal offences and will result in disciplinary action, with the possibility of at least a fine of up to £500 and/or a request to leave hall.

TV licence

Students are reminded that a TV licence is legally required for televisions used in study bedrooms.

 A TV licence is also required if you watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV – whether you are using a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, VHS/DVD recorder or anything else.  


The College does not accept liability for loss or damage to any resident's possessions at any time and students must take out personal insurance if they wish to be covered.

Room cleaning

You are responsible for cleaning your own room and must supply your own cleaning materials. 

The College supplies vacuum cleaners, dust pans and brushes, and mops and buckets. Residents are collectively held responsible for this equipment and will be charged for loss or damage. 

Room checks take place regularly throughout the three terms by Housekeepers / Management to monitor levels of cleanliness. Rooms found to be consistently below par may incur a cleaning charge. 

Repairs and maintenance

Maintenance requests and breakages must be reported to your nearest Customer Services Point. Whenever possible students are given advance notice of staff entering their rooms, but this is not always possible. 

Please be aware that Campus Services staff and Maintenance Staff have the right to enter rooms for inspections, safety, or repair purposes.

Laundry facilities

There are coin operated laundry facilities in Kingswood Hall which include an iron and ironing board.


Residents are permitted to park at Kingswood Hall, but not on the main campus. 

If you bring a car to Kingswood, a parking permit is required, which is obtainable from the Security Office in Founder's building.


Incoming mail is placed in pigeonholes in Kingswood Reception for students to collect. To assist you in receiving your mail quickly, please ensure that it is correctly addressed as below:


    Room Number

    Kingswood 2 Hall

    Royal Holloway, University of London

    Coopers Hill Lane


    Surrey TW20 0LG

Support while you're in halls

Making sure our students feel safe and comfortable in their homes is important to us.  We have the following support in place for students living in Halls: 

Campus services

This is the section responsible for your overall experience of living in Halls, with particular responsibility for the buildings and services on site. 

Each Hall has a Customer Services Point where residents can report maintenance problems, top up their College card, and gain advice on any complaints or concerns.

These points are staffed from 7am-10pm daily (The Hub and Kingswood), 8am–10pm Monday–Friday and 9am–5pm at weekends (Founder’s) and 9am–5pm Monday–Friday (Highfield Court)..

Security services

College Security are available on campus 24-7 with their main office located in Founders Building and two further locations at the Hub and Kingswood between 7pm-7am. 

Officers monitor campus activities on CCTV and with patrols, attending any fire activations and disturbances on campus, as well as ensuring that areas are safe and secure. 

Students on campus can call Security at any time with urgent concerns, if they need the emergency services, or if they are being disturbed by significant noise after 11pm, on telephone number 01784 44 3063.

Campus watch

Royal Holloway is undoubtedly one of the safest campuses in the UK. We  encourage students and staff to work together to reduce the risks within the College and the surrounding areas. 

Publications offer tips and advice, and security services are contactable 24-7. Students can also speak with Support & Advisory Services staff and the Students' Union.

Residential support

The Residential Support Office for all resident students is located in Founder’s West room 170, and staff are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

The Residential Support Team is primarily concerned with the welfare of resident students. A minimum framework of regulations is designed to ensure a safe and pleasant living and working environment for everyone. Social events are organised throughout the year to welcome students and to encourage integration.

Each Hall has a team of Residential Support Assistants who are available in the evenings and weekends (excluding periods of College closure, eg. public holidays) to support students with a variety of issues e.g. noise complaints, flat meetings, emergencies, fire alarms, mediation and urgent concerns.

Hall discipline is also handled by the Residential Support Office.

For further details, please refer to the Residential Support webpages|.


We look forward to welcoming you to Kingswood II




Which hall is for you?



Undergraduate halls

Undergraduate and postgraduate


Postgraduate halls


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback