Clarification on our position on staff taking action short of a strike
Find out more
The College received formal notification from the University and College Union (UCU) on Monday 29 January of the industrial action it is intending its members to take as a result of its dispute regarding the proposed changes to the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) pensions. Royal Holloway is one of 61 universities where the UCU is proposing industrial action.
Notice has been given of strike action on the following dates:
- Thursday 22 and Friday 23 February (two days)
- Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)
- Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)
- Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)
Notice has also been given of continuous action short of strike (ASOS) starting from 22 February 2018.
Action short of strike has been defined by UCU as:
- Working to contract
- Not undertaking any voluntary activities
- Not covering for absent colleagues
- Not rescheduling lectures or classes cancelled due to strike action
We respect union members’ right to take industrial action however, we are obliged to make every effort possible to minimise the impact of any action on our students.
Colleagues are encouraged to check the intranet regularly for updates.