A key aspect of the College’s internal quality assurance and enhancement framework is the programme and course unit approval process. The College must ensure effective processes for the design, development and validation of programmes and course units in line with its responsibilities for setting and maintaining academic standards. These responsibilities include ensuring ‘…that appropriate academic standards are set and maintained and the programmes offered to students make available learning opportunities which enable the intended learning outcomes to be achieved’ (Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), UK Quality Code Part B1, Programme Design, Development and Approval).
The College operates different processes and deadlines for the submission of proposals for the introduction of new programmes and for amendments to existing programmes and course units as shown below.
Full details on the various types of validation processes listed below and the forms required for each type are outlined in the College’s Academic Quality and Policy Manual.
You can find all of the templates you need for validation on our Templates and Forms page.
DEADLINES FOR NEW PROGRAMMES AND TITLES, CLOSURE AND SUSPENSION OF RECRUITMENT FOR 2019-20:
The relevant Academic Planning Committee meetings for the 2019-20 recruitment cycle are 14 September 2017, 7 November 2017, 11 December 2017, 25 January 2018 and 7 March 2018.
The following changes need approval from the Academic Planning Committee prior to the Academic Quality Office appointing a panel to validate the programme or to action the change
- Validation of new programmes
- Revalidation of existing programmes
- Programme title changes
- Introduction of new programme pathways, including addition of a ‘year in industry’, ‘international year’
- Programme closures and temporary suspension of recruitment.The final date for proposals for programme closures and suspension of recruitment is 20 March preceding the start of the academic year.
DEADLINES FOR AMENDMENTS TO PROGRAMMES AND COURSE UNITS
For the following changes: last day of the Autumn term (i.e. 8 December 2017):
- Minor programme amendments, e.g. the introduction of a new mandatory course unit or the withdrawal of a mandatory course unit.*
- Withdrawal or addition of different assessment types on mandatory course units, e.g. replacing 100% exam with 50% coursework and 50% exam;*
- Significant change to the fieldwork requirement on a mandatory course unit, e.g removing or adding a fieldwork component*
- Any other minor programme amendment, e.g the splitting of a mandatory course into two where the content remains the same, changing the status of mandatory courses
- Introduction of a new elective
- Withdrawal of an existing elective
For the following changes (not requiring validation approval but deemed significant): 8 December 2017, where feasible, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The addition of extra costs of £100 or more where no extra costs currently exist;*
- An addition of one or more items which add £100 or more to the existing extra costs;*
- The loss or gaining of accreditation by a professional body for a programme*.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS FOR 2018 WILL BE INFORMED OF SUCH CHANGES IF THEY ARE MADE AFTER STUDENTS HAVE RECEIVED OFFER LETTERS.
For the following changes: last day of the Spring term (i.e. 23 March 2018):
- Proposals for minor changes to summative assessment, e.g. change of weighting or number of summative assessments.
- Other minor changes
- Change to course title only