We apologise for the any inconvenience caused by the current works on campus. These works are all essential to upgrade our historic estate.
Access changes: The SU main entrance will be accessible from Monday 7 August
- Work continues to improve the SU square so it can better accommodate daytime and evening events.
- The Student Union main entrance will reopen from 7 August.
Delays likely: One lane of the main campus road by the Science building site entrance will be closed 5/6 August
- Dismantling of the Science building crane means that the main campus road by the site entrance will be closed for part of the weekend of 5 / 6 August.
- Traffic and pedestrian management will be in place while the crane is being dismantled.
Access to Founder’s East: Full pedestrian access to Founder’s east to be restored around 8 August
- Access to Founder’s East from the north east corner will be restored around the 8 August.
- Founder’s Square will open fully in next few weeks.
Campus diversions: Roadworks to the pedestrian crossing at the north east corner of Founder’s
- There will be traffic management in place and single lane access during this work.
Campus diversions: Small road and pavement repairs at various locations across campus from 7 – 10 August
- Works around The Hub & Runnmede GH on 7 August
- The Hub: tarmac repair to a small area in the car park at the front of the building. Vehicle access will be maintained
- Runnymede GH Block: repairs to tarmac and the wooden edging on the pathway at the rear of the block leading to the plant room.
- Works around Williams, Arts, The Hub & Runnymede V on 8 August
- Williams Lab: steps leading to the lab will be closed to enable the team to lay new paviours to the top of the steps. Access will still be available via the ramp
- Arts Building: a small area of the pathway next to the construction site and close to the north entrance door will be closed to relay paving slabs, access will be maintained
- Runnymede V block: new paving slabs will be laid on the footpath leading to V block. The footpath will be closed off and pedestrians diverted to the opposite footpath, access to the block will be maintained.
- The Hub: a small area of the footpath leading to Gowar & Wedderburn will be closed to relay paving slabs, access will be maintained
- Works around Moore and the Boilerhouse from 9 to 10 August
- Moore Building/Boilerhouse: tarmac repairs and new concreate edgings on the foot path leading from Moore towards Boiler house Café. Pedestrians will be diverted via crossings to the opposite pathway and access to Boilerhouse will be maintained via the access road.
Delays likely: Toucan crossing installation works 7 August – 3 October
- A new toucan crossing is being installed to create a safe route between Royal Holloway's new George Eliot Halls on the university's north campus and the south campus.
- There will be a partial road closure with three way traffic lights and pedestrian diversions during these works.
What’s coming up?
Work in the Boilerhouse café & courtyard between 14 and 18 August
- The café and courtyard will remain open throughout the work, small areas might be closed off during the works.
Access to Founder’s East: Over the coming weeks the Principal’s entrance and the main entrance will temporarily close
- Exact dates and duration of the works are to be confirmed, but at least two entrances on Founder’s East will remain open at all times.
Localised diversions: Works on the main campus road by the Computer Centre
- The road works by the Computer Centre continue.
- The migration of the Library collections will continue until approx. 20 August and during this time there will be additional vehicle traffic around Bedford and Founder’s libraries.
- When necessary there will be traffic management in place, please be vigilant and follow their guidance.
- Library services and study spaces will be available throughout the move, but there will be some disruption. Stay up to date on what is available each day through Library webpages.
Localised diversions: Works in and around Windsor Building
- External painting of the Windsor Building continues until around 11 August. Access to Windsor will be maintained throughout, but there will be localised diversions on the nearby pavement and road as work progresses around the building.
- The Windsor auditorium will be closed until 11 August while some seats are replaced.
- From approx. 11 August the front patio will be lifted and new paving laid, exact dates are to be confirmed. There will be localised diversions during this work, but there will continue to be access to the Windsor Building throughout.
- There may be one or two days when the ATM is in accessible, this is likely to be between the 10 and 12 August.
- The Windsor bike rack will be moved on Friday 18 August, any bikes left at this time will be moved and need to be reclaimed from Estates.
- The auditorium will be closed from the 18to 25 August for the floor to be glossed.
Delays likely: Runnymede Roundabout works until March 2018
- Surrey County Council have started works on Runnymede Roundabout to improve traffic management and the efficiency of vehicle flows as well as making it easier for pedestrians and cyclists to safely navigate the roundabout.
- These works are highly likely to cause delay to routes via the roundabout and in the surrounding areas.
- Full details of these works are available here.
Delays likely: Part of Bakeham Lane will be closed until 26 September
- This means the main route to and from Huntersdale will be diverted via the A30, Christchurch road in Virginia Water and Callow Hill. Prune Hill will be accessible but there will be traffic lights at the top.
- These roadworks are not connected to the College, full details of local roadworks are available here.
- During these roadworks there is a revised shuttle Huntersdale bus schedule – the revised timetable is available here.
Access to Arts: Current access route into and around the Arts Building will be maintained until 14 August
- Work continues on the road and pavement at the front of the Arts Building.
- The current access route to Arts door is round the back of McCrae or up the Woodland path.
- There is no through access along the front of the Arts Building.
- The access routes to Arts will change from the 14 August.
ATM closed: the Student Union ATM will be closed until the start of term
- The Windsor Building ATM will remain open.
Pedestrian route change: Summer work to refurbish halls means the pathway by Runnymede 1 is blocked off
- Major refurbishment of Runnymede 1 blocks NPQ and JKLM has started. This means these Halls and the pathway to the Sports Centre will be blocked off all summer. The alternative route is via the road between the Halls (as shown on the campus map above).
- Over the summer refurbishment works will also be carried out in Gower and Wedderburn, Kingswood 1 and 2 as well as Runnymede 2.
Science building updates
If you would like to know more about the construction of the new Science building come and meet the contractor. The next monthly meet is on the 17 August @ 10.00 in the Hub restaurant.
When information is received this update will cover local roadworks that are not connected to our estates works. More information on all local roadworks are available here.
If you have any questions, please get in touch at: estateplanroyalholloway.ac.uk
This update is produced in conjunction with our main build contractors, Osborne’s for the Emily Wilding Davison Building and the Science building and Willmott Partnership Homes for the George Eliot Halls.