Submitting an e-thesis in Pure
Pure is the College’s research information system. For the PhD degree to be awarded, an electronic version of the thesis must be deposited into Pure.
For detailed step by step information on how to submit the e-thesis, please consult the Guide on how to submit an e-thesis in Pure. The submission process is explained below.
To submit an e-thesis, a thesis template will need to be completed in Pure and the electronic document added to the template. Log on Pure (https://pure.rhul.ac.uk/admin/) using the usual College username and password.
Click on the green button ‘Add new’ at the top right-hand side of the screen and from the category ‘Research Output’ select the Doctoral thesis template. The mandatory fields are marked with the red star ( * ).
Most fields are self-explanatory but it is recommend that the fields below are completed as following:
- Publications State – please select option ‘Unpublished’
- Publication Date – enter the current year (in which the e-thesis is being presented)
- Publisher – please leave blank
- When adding the full-text document in the section ‘Electronic version(s), and related files and links'’:
- For Document version please select ‘Other version’
- For Public access to file, please select ‘Open' or 'Embargoed'. as required. If an embargo has been selected, the Embargo end date also needs to be added. If the embargo end date has been added, only the bibliographic record of the thesis (but not the full text document) will be visible on the Royal Holloway website. The full text document will become available once the embargo period has finished.
- If there are any questions about requesting an embargo period for the thesis, please consult the E-Thesis Submission Policy
- Awarding institution – search for the name ‘Royal Holloway, University of London’ (or part of it) and find the correct title (the subtitle should be ‘Organisation: University’)
- Date of Award – please leave this field blank (this information will be entered by library staff after the degree has been awarded)
- Visibility – please select ‘Not on web - Visible to any user logged into Pure’ (this option will ensure that the e-thesis is not visible on the Royal Holloway website until the degree has been awarded; the visibility status will be changed by library staff after the degree has been awarded)
- Please remember to click ‘Save’ once the template has been completed
The e-thesis entry can be reviewed by clicking on the title and opening the completed template.
Access to Pure after submitting thesis
Please note that access will be lost to the Pure account once the degree is awarded (shortly after submitting the thesis). Afterwards, the Pure profile will still be displayed on the website and the status will be shown as 'Former student'. The information on the Pure profile can not be changed after leaving the College. Therefore, please make any changes to the Pure profile before uploading the thesis onto Pure.
For general Pure enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any enquiries about copyright or embargo periods for PhD theses, please contact email@example.com.
For other enquiries regarding the submission of the thesis, please refer to the pages for Research Degree students.
Updated in October 2016
Click to download the Guide on how to submit an e-thesis in Pure (PDF).