Careers and employability
Helping our students find employment
The latest National Student Survey reports that 92% of our students were employed or had gone on to further study within 6 months of graduation, with 64% in graduate positions. Read here about some examples of our graduates' careers.
Volunteering and work experience
We host a departmental interactive forum and website for work experience and volunteering opportunities and provide students with a set of placement opportunities arranged by the department. We have close links with companies and charities in the area and over the years have helped place volunteers with organizations such as Tulip Mental Health Group and Bishop Creighton House and have an internship programme with Mercedes-Benz . We take an active part in helping student find work experience by approaching organizations and providing students with contacts and helping them through the application process.
The department provides a series of talks with invited speakers from professions open to Psychology undergraduates and from the careers service. The Royal Holloway careers service supports students during their degree and after, providing training and employment opportunities and practical such as CV and cover letter writing. Our students can also make use of The Careers Group, London service.
Meet Our Grads
Our popular annual 'Meet Our Grads' event is always well attended and provides our finalists with a chance to network with out past graduates from various professional backgrounds, such as teachers, educational psychologists, and management consultants.
Here is a sample of areas entered by our 2010 graduates:
- directly Psychology related jobs such clinical psychologists, educational psychologists, psychotherapists, therapists and counsellors
- secondary and special needs education: teaching or support jobs such as youth and community workers
- personnel and recruitment
- local government
- finance: actuaries, accountants, finance managers, investment/merchant bankers, business analysts
- marketing and advertising
- public relations officers and exhibition and events management
Find your Psychology course