There are two normal entry routes to the PhD.
• A first or second class degree in Physics or a closely related subject from a UK university or its equivalent from a non-UK university. Students graduating after the introduction of the four year MSci (or MPhys) degree in the UK are normally required to have this degree.
• A Master’s degree in Physics or closely related subject from a UK or non-UK university.
For advice on whether or not the subject of your degree is acceptable consult the potential supervisor or the Director of Graduate Studies. Applicants based in the UK will be invited for interview.
Reasonable travel costs (e.g cheap rail fares with student discount) will be refunded.
English language entry requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to present evidence of competence in English with either a TOEFL score of 570 or an IELTS grade of 6.5.
More details can be found on the International web pages.
The current level of funding for home students funded by UK Research Councils is
• A minimum maintenance stipend of £15,726 per annum.
• In addition, the Research Councils pay the College Fees of £3,900 per annum.
• Incidental expenses , such as travel and subsistence for meetings, conferences and field work, and the cost of a computer and consumables are usually paid for by a training support grant.
We offer a number of other fully-funded PhD project studentships sponsored by the College, the European Union and others. Where necessary, the Department tops these up to match the Research Council figures above. These project studentships are available to EU students only.
Fill in the College online application form and please also send a recent CV and transcript to the Director of Graduate Studies.
For general enquiries contact:
Department of Physics
Royal Holloway, University of London
E-mail: email@example.com Telephone: 01784 443448 Fax: 01784 472794
For more information about the postgraduate degree programmes contact the Director of Graduate Studies. For further details on particular projects contact the named supervisors.