We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Physics > Postgraduate research
More in this section Prospective students

Postgraduate research

Typically, we accept 10 students annually onto PhD programmes in our research groups. Studentships are funded by UK Research Councils, the European Commission, the National Physical Laboratory and Royal Holloway. 

We may also accept students who are self-funded or supported from other sources. 

Click on the relevant tab below for more information about our postgraduate research opportunities or check out our research pages.

Crystal Growth

There are two normal entry routes to the PhD.

• A first or second class degree in Physics or a closely related subject from a UK university or its equivalent from a non-UK university. Students graduating after the introduction of the four year MSci (or MPhys) degree in the UK are normally required to have this degree.

 • A Master’s degree in Physics or closely related subject from a UK or non-UK university. 

For advice on whether or not the subject of your degree is acceptable consult the potential supervisor or the Director of Graduate Studies.  Applicants based in the UK will be invited for interview. 

Reasonable travel costs (e.g cheap rail fares with student discount) will be refunded. 

English language entry requirements 

Applicants whose first language is not English are required to present evidence of competence in  English with either a TOEFL score of 570 or an IELTS grade of 6.5. 

More details can be found on the International web pages.

The current level of funding for home students funded by UK Research Councils is

 • A minimum maintenance stipend of £15,726 per annum.

 • In addition, the Research Councils pay the College Fees of £3,900 per annum.

 • Incidental expenses , such as travel and subsistence for meetings, conferences and field work, and the cost of  a computer  and consumables are usually paid for by a training support grant. 

We offer a number of other fully-funded PhD project studentships sponsored by the College, the European Union and others. Where necessary, the Department tops these up to match the Research Council figures above. These project studentships are available to EU students only.

Fill in the College online application form and please also send  a recent CV and transcript to the Director of Graduate Studies.

For general enquiries contact:

Departmental Administrator

Department of Physics 

Royal Holloway, University of London 



TW20 0EX

E-mail: physics@rhul.ac.uk Telephone: 01784 443448 Fax: 01784 472794 

For more information about the postgraduate degree programmes contact the Director of Graduate Studies. For further details on particular projects contact the named supervisors.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback