We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Support and advice for postgraduate students
More in this section Postgraduate research students

Support and advice for postgraduate students


Please refer to the College’s Code of Practice where the responsibilities of your supervisor are clarified. The supervisor is expected to be ‘approachable and available’ and therefore you should feel able to speak to him/her about any issue that might be compromising your academic progress.


Each research student is allocated an advisor who is supposed to offer additional academic and pastoral support. If for any reason it is difficult to speak to your supervisor, you should contact your advisor on personal and non-work related issues.

Director of Graduate Studies

Each department has a Director of Graduate Studies, whose role is to deputize for the Head of Department on matters concerning postgraduate studies and students. Directors of Graduate Studies can be contacted to discuss difficulties you may have with individuals within your supervisory team.

Head of Department

As the highest authority in the department, it will always be possible to raise any concern you have with the Head of Department. This would particularly be the case if the Director of Graduate Studies happens to be part of your supervisory team.

Educational Support Office

Advice for special educational needs; assessment of support requirement; coordination of services for adequate support.

Founder’s West 151

Email: educational-support@rhul.ac.uk



Contact the relevant consultant for your subject for support. Their details can be found on the library pages.


Royal Holloway International

In-sessional English language courses; Study Abroad and Exchanges.

International Building 008

Email: StudyAbroad@rhul.ac.uk (study abroad and exchanges)
             RHI-Admissions@rhul.ac.uk (Language courses)

Student Service Centre

Enrolment, Student Forms, Graduation Ceremonies, Tuition Fee enquiries, CAS , Reference requests for current students; Accommodation enquiries.

Crossland Bungalow (opposite Windsor Building)

Email: Student-Records@rhul.ac.uk (student administrative enquiries)
             StudentHousing@rhul.ac.uk (accommodation)


Exams & Research Degrees

Upgrades; submission of MPhil and PhD thesis; examinations of research degrees.

Huntersdale 1-16

Email: researchdegrees@rhul.ac.uk


International Office

Applying for and renewing visa; registering with the Police; trips in the UK and Europe; the HOST programme.

Founder’s West 139

Financial advice and support

Advice and guidance on financial matters including student loans, budgeting, debt management and advice on benefits.

Founder’s West 150

Email: financialadvice@rhul.ac.uk


Counselling Services

Advice and support with unfamiliar or challenging situations; support is provided through workshops as well as one-to-one sessions.

Founder’s West 171

Email: counselling@rhul.ac.uk

Tel: 01784 443128


Health Centre

Medical help and advice.

Founder's (first floor, North East corner)

Email: healthcentre@rhul.ac.uk

Tel: 01784 473711


Students' Union 

Vice-President (Education and Welfare)

Postgraduate Students' Officer

Students' Union Welfare Advisor 

Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback