We always welcome postgraduate researchers and the extensive array of our research interests and our world-class reputation mean we can offer excellent supervision for PhD and Masters by Research students in French, Francophone and Comparative topics.
Recent research undertaken by our postgraduates includes:
• Auvergnat troubadours
• Cultural memory
• Duras’s fiction and cinema
• Ethics and spectatorship in contemporary French cinema
• Female responsibility in Levinas
• Irigaray and the family in 19th century French art and literature
• Scandal in Aymé
• Nimier and Vian
• Occitan dialogue poems
• Racine, and Zola
• Representations of food in late 20th century fiction
• Japan in Francophone fiction.
Our Masters by Research offers graduates a rare opportunity to conduct a substantial piece of academic research at Masters level.
We welcome both full- and part-time students who find that these degrees offer a powerful way to explore their individual research interests in the depth and breadth not normally achievable through a taught MA.
Some of our students use this course as the first building block for subsequent doctoral study, while others use it to develop writing and research skills that are sought after in a wide range of careers.