We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > SMLLC home > Prospective students > Multilingual Studies
More in this section Multilingual Studies

Multilingual Studies


If you want to focus on gaining high-level skills in three languages, this specially-designed four-year degree is for you.* It is one of only a few degree programmes in the UK to enable you to study three modern languages together - including one from scratch - and is a rare opportunity to combine intensive study across different languages with the exploration of related literature, history, art and culture.  You will gain fluency in three key modern languages as well as English, with equal skills in writing, reading, speaking and listening. You will also gain an understanding of cultures that express themselves in your chosen languages.

You’ll study in one of the country’s leading Modern Languages departments, with a reputation for excellence in teaching and research across all its subjects. We teach French, German, Italian and Spanish from Advanced level as well as from scratch, or ab initio.

With an integrated year spent abroad in one or more relevant countries, the course offers the ideal pathway to those who want to excel in an array of European languages. You can spend your time abroad as a student, teaching with the British Council scheme, or in an approved work placement. Many students combine two or even three of these experiences.

Our rigorous degrees prepare you for a broad range of careers. Our graduates are highly employable and have entered many different language-related fields such as international management, consultancy and sales. Other options include marketing, media and publishing, banking, the arts, politics, the Civil Service, teaching, travel and tourism, translating and interpretation.

*Please note: last entry September 2017.
As of 2018 to be replaced by BA Modern Languages

Why study Multilingual Studies at Royal Holloway?

Degree Combinations

You can study for a BA (Hons) Multilingual Studies, focusing on language and cultural courses, or you may opt for a BA (Hons) Multilingual Studies with Visual Arts, in which languages are the key focus of your course (75%) with the remaining 25% of the course devoted to exploring the visual arts. Or you might choose to study for a BA (Hons) Multilingual Studies with Philosophy, which allows you to study three modern languages (75% of the course) as well as Philosophy (25%). Another possibility is to study for a BA (Hons) Multilingual Studies with International Relations, which allows you to to study three modern languages as well as International Relations, which comprises 25% of the course. International Relations offers a choice of subjects in areas such as human rights, international law and social justice that will give your language study an extra dimension.

Teaching and Support

Specialist, award-winning teachers will actively foster your intellectual independence and support you as you develop your knowledge and skills. We offer our four languages from scratch or at advanced  level. Your teaching will take place in small groups. All oral classes are led by highly-qualified native teachers. Additionally, your Personal Advisor will provide one-to-one academic and pastoral support throughout your time here.  

Course Units

Alongside your language classes, you will have the chance to deepen your knowledge of the cultures that express themselves in your chosen languages. You can choose to study translation, literature, film and the visual arts. Details of the courses offered may be found here.

Year Abroad: Work, Study and/or Teach

The third year of the degree programme is the Year Abroad and you can choose to spend it either working or studying at one of our many partner universities in Europe and Latin America. The year abroad will provide an unmissable opportunity to improve and rapidly hone your languages, as well as help you develop valuable personal and professional skills.

Entry requirements

  • You must have qualifications in at least two of the four languages that we offer (French, German, Italian and Spanish), with a minimum B grade at A2 level. 
  • You can study one language from scratch from among French, German, Italian and Spanish, starting with an intensive beginners' language unit in the first year. Our typical offer is ABB-BBB.

Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback