We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > School of Management home > Prospective students > Frequently asked questions
More in this section Prospective students

Frequently asked questions


General queries

Can I visit the School of Management?
You can make an appointment to visit the School of Management most weeks throughout the year. For further details please see our open days page.

Will my degree from Royal Holloway be recognised in my own country and worldwide? You will be awarded a University of London degree, which has a reputation for excellence around the world.

Do you provide any help in getting work, and are there any jobs on campus?
There are jobs available both on and off campus and information is provided about these by the Careers Service and the Students’ Union.

Do you provide work experience during the course?
A few programmes offer this but in general we don’t. However, you may contact the Careers Service to see if they can help you arrange something.

Do you offer scholarships?
There are a number of bursaries, scholarships and awards which depend on your circumstances and location » scholarships.

What facilities do you have to support students with learning or physical disabilities?
Our Educational Support Office (ESO) can help with special needs » students with disabilities.


When do I apply? What are the closing dates for applications?
You should apply as soon as possible as we cannot guarantee you a place if our courses are full. The deadline for overseas undergraduate applications is in June. There is no postgraduate deadline, though you are strongly advised to submit your application by the beginning of April.

How do I apply?
Undergraduate – apply through the UK body UCAS.
Postgraduate – apply directly to Royal Holloway online » how to apply.

Do I need an English language qualification such as IELTS or TOEFL?
You will require this if you are not from a country where English is the official language. However, if you are applying for a postgraduate programme and have taken your undergraduate degree in an English-speaking country, you will not normally be required to take the test. The English language entry requirements are listed on each course details page, which you can find .

I haven’t taken my English language exams yet – can I still apply?
You can still apply as we will make you a conditional offer based on what your tutor thinks you will get in your exams. Alternatively you may be able to take one of the Pre-sessional English Language Programmes that we run prior to the start of the academic year.

If I study the University Foundation Programme or the Bridging Diploma will I be guaranteed a place on a degree course?
Places cannot be guaranteed on a degree course after completion of the University Foundation Programme or the Bridging Diploma as each department makes this decision and it would be dependent on your exam results, amongst other criteria.

Can I transfer onto the second year of a degree course?
In general students must begin in the first year of undergraduate degree courses. In special cases, where a student has already covered similar material at a similar level in their current placement, it may be possible to transfer. These decisions are made on an individual basis by each department so you will need to contact the Admissions Tutor for that department.

Can I transfer onto the final year of a degree course?
This is extremely difficult and until recently was not possible. In order to be awarded a University of London degree, you needed to have studied at the College for at least two years. These decisions are made on an individual basis by each department so you will need to contact the Admissions Tutor for that department.

How do I apply for my visa?

If you are an international student, you may require a student visa to study in the UK. Please go on the Support & Advisory Services for International Students webpage. The international Student Support Team will be able to advise you.  

How can I check the status of my application?
For questions related to the status of your application, please contact the Admissions Office: email Admissions@royalholloway.ac.uk or phone +44 (0)1784 414944.


Will you pick me up from the airport when I arrive?
There is an airport pick up service on the Saturday and Sunday before the first week of term of the first term of the academic year. Airport pick up is only available that weekend.

Is it easy to get to Royal Holloway from London Heathrow airport?
You can take a 441 bus from Heathrow Central Bus Station or a 71 bus from Terminal 5: both stop outside the College. Alternatively if you book a taxi, it will cost about £20 (day) and £30 (night).

Do you have an orientation programme for international students?
Yes, your first week will be spent learning about Royal Holloway and what it is like to live and study in the UK » your first week on campus.

Life on campus

What student clubs are there?
There are a large number of clubs and societies at Royal Holloway, mostly organised through the Students’ Union. These include academic, political and religious, sport, international, social and cultural, and performing arts societies.

What sports facilities are there?
Being a campus university, we have a large range of sports facilities including tennis courts, playing fields and a sports centre: Sport.

What is there to do at the weekend?
On campus the Students’ Union often provides live music and there are also bars where you can eat and drink. In Egham and Englefield Green there is a wide choice of restaurants and pubs. In addition to this some students go out in Windsor or London, plus there is a cinema and shopping centre in Staines nearby.

What is there to do or see in the local area?
Royal Holloway is close to the River Thames, Windsor and Eton (Eton Dorney was the venue for rowing during the 2012 Olympic Games). Runnymede and Windsor Great Park are both within walking distance from the College.

How do I get into London and how long does it take?
It takes around 40 minutes to travel to London Waterloo on the fast train from Egham.

What about during vacations?
International students may want to take advantage of HOST, a charlity that can arrange a weekend stay with a British family in their home.

What are the study facilities available?
There are two main libraries (Bedford and Founder's) plus a Music library. All of which have study areas and computer terminals. We also have a Computer Centre which is open 24/7.

Can I get language and study skills support while I am a student?
Royal Holloway International provide in-sessional English language classes. See the College's study resources and academic support pages for details on study skills courses.

Life after study

Do you have a Careers Centre?
Royal Holloway's Careers Service is located near the School of Management. Information about careers support after you graduate can be found here: alumni careers support.

If you cannot find the answer to your question on the website, please contact the relevant office (see links on the right) or email the School of Management.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback