Your Library over Summer 2017
Over the summer the library collections and staff will be moving into the new Library in the Emily Wilding Davison Building.
There will continue to be a library service throughout the summer and we'll keep you updated on any changes through this page and on Twitter and Facebook.
There will continue to be occasional minor disruption to silent study areas throughout the period leading to the migration but we are doing all we can to minimise disturbance and thank everyone for their patience while we move to our new home!
On Monday 7th and Tuesday 8th August we will be packing up most of our journals. This will cause disruption on Level 1 but you will still be able to access the history books and the study spaces down that end of the floor.
First Floor Closed
From Thursday 17th August the First Floor (ground floor) of the Library will be closed off whilst the remainder of the journals and the history books are packed up.
We are currently working on finding oversized books on the main shelves in Founders. This may cause disruption to areas of the Library they are working in.
Areas cordoned off
Areas in Founders Library First Floor East and West, and part of the history section on Level 1 in Bedford Library have been cordoned off. Anyone wanting access to books in these areas should ask for assistance at the library help desks.
Anticipated moving schedule
From May 26th
- All students and staff can borrow up to 60 items with a return date of 29th Sept 2017.
- Access to items and study spaces within both libraries will remain as normal until July 30th
July 31st - August 18th
- We will begin moving items from both libraries into the new Library. During this time there will be some disruption to study spaces; please keep an eye on social media on the day, or make use of our Library@ scheme.
- Clearer information will be available closer to the time, but we anticipate that:
- Items will remain in their normal location until the point at which they are removed into crates.
- When an item is being moved, it will be unavailable for 24 hours only.
- There will be a retrieval service to bring an item back to one of the libraries on request. More information on this will be published closer to the time.
August 19th - August 20th
- We will be finishing moving items into the new Library.
- Bedford and Founder's Libraries will be open as usual on the Saturday and closed on the Sunday
August 21st - September 2nd
- Founder's Library will be available as study space.
- You will be able to request books through the fetch service. More information on how the fetch service will work will be published shortly.
- Founder's Library will be open 9am - 7pm every day except Sundays when the Library will be closed.
- Members of College should be able to access items and use study spaces in the new Library.
- Library staff, including the Archivist, will be located in the new Library. We expect to be running the Archives service from the Reading Room in the new Library wherever possible, although some collections may still be read within the current space in Founder's South Tower.
- We anticipate that there will still be some work going on to get all services up and running before the start of term.
- Exact opening hours for this period will be announced closer to the time.
September 18th onwards
From the start of term, the new Library will be fully operational 24/7. New and returning students, researchers and staff will be able to enjoy and study in the fantastic new facilities.
We intend to migrate the archives, rare books and special collections over the Christmas vacation period 2017/18.
Last updated: 21st July 2017
Connect with us