Disability & dyslexia support
Once you have been accepted by the College as a future student the Educational Support Office will inform the Library and you will receive a letter from the Head of Customer Services inviting you to a meeting near the beginning of term to discuss your particular needs. If you think any of the support services outlined below are likely to be useful to you, please mention them at the meeting.
Help with library resources
Enhanced access to the library catalogue, allowing you to place reservations on available items, can be arranged on request, to ensure that required stock is available for loan when you come to the Library. To allow for longer loan periods all items except short loan can be renewed an unlimited number of times, unless another reader requests the item. If you are unable to come in but wish to borrow items, it may be possible for the Library to accept a friend or carer using your library card, as long as you write a letter authorizing this.
Help with photocopying
By arrangement we are able to make photocopies for you, which you can then collect and pay for at your chosen site. This service may also include producing the materials in larger font on larger paper, or on coloured paper, subject to copyright regulations.
Large print information
The Library can supply copies of its information and services leaflets in large print and/or coloured paper. Advance requests can be emailed via email@example.com. The IT department can also give help with using larger font sizes or adjusting contrast in standard software applications.
Bedford Library (01784 443823) contains science, social science and history materials.
- This Library is wheelchair accessible.
- There is also a lift to all floors and a fully accessible toilet on the entrance level.
- There are dedicated parking spaces for disabled badge holders.
- In the event of a fire or emergency, both stairwells in the building are to be used as refuges.
Founder's Library (01784 443321) contains language, literature, fine arts, music, film and theatre materials.
- The Founder’s Library is housed in the south wing of the main Founder’s building. The Library has wheelchair access during core opening hours Monday to Friday provided a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPS) has been completed. It is accessible during core hours provided the user has completed the requirement outlined by the Disability and Dyslexia Service (ESO) and the Health and Safety Officer.
- There are three steps at the entrance to the building, but once inside, all areas of the Library except for Ground Floor East can be accessed by lift. (Ground Floor East is accessed by a short narrow flight of stairs, and houses Fine Arts, Theatre, Media Studies, and General, American, Spanish, Italian and Classical Literature)
- There are also dedicated parking spaces for disabled badge holders.
- it is also possible to request Founders materials to be transferred to Bedford Library.
Connect with us