Posted on 17/04/2012
From 8.30am on 16 April until 5pm on 25 May Bedford Library is open 24 hours a day for 7 days a week.
If you would like to use Bedford Library late at night or early in the morning, please give some thought to the following tips and guidelines:
Please plan ahead to get the most out of your study and revision time. Make sure you get sufficient rest and take adequate breaks from studying.
Consider how you are going to travel to and from Bedford Library early in the morning and late at night. If you rely on public transport, check bus and train times in advance.
Keep your personal safety in mind at all times and especially when travelling at night - avoid walking alone and use well lit main routes (further advice on personal safety).
Before coming to the library
Make sure you bring your College card to gain entry. Between 22:00 and 8:30 entry to the Bedford Library is for members of the College only.
Think about where you can obtain food and drink, as outlets on campus will be closed during the night. Consider bringing some bottled water with you. Please do not attempt to bring hot food into the library, as you will be refused entry.
If you are planning to travel by car, please be aware of the campus regulations for car use and parking.
Be aware that some library services will not be available late at night or early in the morning:
- Help Desk services are not available outside usually staffed hours.
- Self-service borrowing, return and renewal and other library account functions are not available between 2:00 and 4:00 on Monday mornings due to systems maintenance.
- Library catalogue searching is not available between 2:00 and 4:00 on Monday mornings due to systems maintenance.
Using the library
Please be considerate and respect the needs of other students. Do maintain an atmosphere of quiet throughout the library and study silently on Level 3.
- Cleaning may cause some noise and disruption. Please be aware of this and try to keep any additional noise to a minimum.
- Remember to switch your mobile phone to silent. Make and receive calls on level 2 (TLC) or outside the library building.
- Do not leave any items of value unattended.
- Place litter in the bins provided.
- Please speak to a member of security staff if you have any concerns.
Leaving the library
Remember to take all your belongings with you. Please do not attempt to reserve a study space by leaving personal belongings at a desk when leaving the building. Any unattended items are left at the owner’s risk and will be removed to enable others to use study spaces.
If you rely on public transport, check bus and train times in advance.
Rather than walking home on your own at night, consider taking the Students’ Union Non Residential Bus Service or a taxi. Do not hitchhike or accept lifts from strangers.
- Gemini Cars (01784 471111) operate a local 24 hour taxi service.
On your way home, please be considerate to local residents and keep noise to an appropriate level.