Note: If you already have SPSS 21 but the licence has expired, please follow these instructions.
To install SPSS:
- SPSS needs an old version of Java to be installed first: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572
- Download and open this DMG file
- Search for Terminal in the Spotlight search in the top-right corner or in Finder go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal
- In Terminal, run the following commands:
- cd /Volumes/SPSSStatistics
- sudo ./SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin -f installer.properties
- There will be a warning about using sudo carefully, and then you will be asked to enter a password when prompted. This will be the password of your main OS X user account. Note: the cursor will not move while you are typing the password
- Once you have successfully installed there will be a line printed in the Terminal window (which you can now quit) and SPSS will appear in the Spotlight search and in Applications > IBM > SPSS
For a video of the procedure please click here. The video assumes you have already downloaded and extracted the SPSS file (see step 1).