If you are in any doubt then do not open an email - it is far safer to permanently remove it:
- Click on it once with the left-mouse button (to highlight it) and then hit the Delete button on the keyboard - this will move it to the 'Deleted Items' folder.
- Right-Click on the 'Deleted Items' folder and select 'Empty Deleted Items Folder'.
Although the Royal Holloway mail servers are protected by anti-virus software it is still possible that some infected messages can get through.
In general you should not open messages, especially ones with attachments, from people/mail accounts you do not know or recognise. Also, be wary of messages that appear to be from someone you know but that are unexpected or unusual. Pay particular attention to the subject line as this is often a good indicator of infected messages.
Example - the KLEZ-G Virus:
Subject Lines include (but not limited to):
- Fw: A nice game
- Re: A WinXP patch
- Re: Good removal tools
- Fw: A humour website
- How are you?
- For more information, please visit
Body Text (examples):
- This is a nice game
- This is my first work.
- Your're the first player.
- I would expect you would enjoy it
- Hello,This is a humour game
- This game is my first work.
- You're the first player.
- I expect you would like it.