How to apply
We will open for applications for the 2017/18 cohort (to start their studies in Sep 2017) in November 2016.
Applying for the CDT in Cyber Security
Candidates wishing to apply for Royal Holloway's CDT are encouraged to make an initial informal contact via the email address CyberSecurityCDT@royalholloway.ac.uk, to discuss their suitability for the CDT programme and eligibility for funding. They should include:
- a CV highlighting their academic background and experience
- a brief discussion on their motivation to pursue a PhD programme in Cyber Security at Royal Holloway.
After an initial assessment, qualified and eligible candidates will be invited to submit a formal application through the official channels (using the College's online application system). Please visit the following page to find out details on how to apply for our PhD Research Programme.
Instructions for online application
When filling in your application online, in the B. Programme of Study section, please select "MPhil/PhD Information Security" (under "Information Security Group"), and enter "CDT in Cyber Security" as your General Research Area.
You should also include the following three pieces of information in your application (these can be covered in sections labelled Research Proposal, Supporting Statement or in a combined attachment):
- An explanation as to why you wish to pursue PhD studies in Cyber Security.
- A personal statement that explains why you think you would fit into the CDT programme and more generally into Royal Holloway's research group in Cyber Security.
- An indication of the research areas that most interest you, and why they interest you (you do not have to formally define a full research project, although you are welcome to do so).
The main goal of this section is to assist us in processing your application, by learning your research interests, background, experience, career goals, and ultimately help us to identify potential supervisors.
In the online application, you will be asked to nominate one referee. For CDT admissions, we will need however a second reference letter. When sending your application please also name a second referee. You should contact this second referee directly, and ask them to send their reference letter directly to CyberSecurityCDT@royalholloway.ac.uk (the first referee will receive an automated request from the admissions system, and their reference letter will be included in your application).
We will start a formal assessment as soon as we receive your application. We will contact you as soon as a decision is made. In certain circumstances we may wish to contact you to request further information or invite you to visit the department for an interview.