Please note a number of revisions to the conditions have been introduced for the start of 2015/2016.
The Research Strategy Fund (RSF) provides small scale funding, typically of up to £5k for academic staff at Royal Holloway. The RSF is a flexible internal funding source primarily focused on supporting or facilitating large scale external funding applications. However, any application will be considered for support if it seeks to stimulate research grant income.
Applications for RSF funds may include the costs of:
• initial research to support a substantial external grant application,
• preparation and submission of a large multi-partner grant, e.g. travel and subsistence, short term teaching replacement,
• attendance at a networking event designed to find research partners (as distinct from a conference: conference attendance is not covered by RSF funds),
• support for other activities to strengthen the College’s REF submission, e.g. impact activities.
In all cases, applications must demonstrate how the proposed funding will contribute to the research related aims and KPIs in the University’s 2013-2020 Strategy.
- Applications must be endorsed by the relevant HoD.
- Your HoD must commit to a departmental contribution of at least 25% of the total costs, this is a cash contribution and not an in-kind contribution. Therefore, an RSF application for the maximum amount of £5,000 must have a departmental contribution of at least £1,250 with the maximum contribution from RSF funds being £3,750.
- The grant should not be used for any other purpose than that stated in the application e.g. not on a follow on project, albeit related, or conference attendance.
- Any unspent funds will be recouped and reinvested into the RSF budget. Any follow on or additional activity must be applied for separately and approved by the RSF panel.
- RSF account codes will be closed 2 months after the stated RSF project end date, any unspent funds will be returned to the RSF budget and Dept proportionately. RSF funding periods are not automatically extended.
- Research & Enterprise will actively monitor the outcomes of RSF awards and will periodically review the external funding strategies in RSF awards to match them to external grant applications and awards recorded in Pure. Where there are no apparent relations R&E will follow up with the PIs for additional clarification.
- The College Research Committee will be updated on both the project expenditure and the outcomes of the RSF awards to regularly monitor the effectiveness of the fund.
- If, in the opinion of the College Research Committee, insufficient steps have been made in any RSF award towards the stated strategy up to 50% of the funds may be recovered from your department.
From August 2015 all RSF applications will be reviewed by a revised RSF panel comprising the Associate Vice Principal for Research (panel Chair) and the Associate Deans for Research from each Faculty.
The RSF panel will meet once a month during term time and RSF applications will go to the earliest possible meeting but please be aware there may be a delay of up to a month to receive a decision.
The decisions of the RSF panel will be communicated to RSF applicants by R&E including, when required, any requests for clarification or amendments.
Completed application forms can be submitted at any time by email to Craig Bryce.
Please click here
to download the RSF application form