Successful in getting funded? These are the things you need to undertake and consider when managing your award - for general post-award advice and support, contact Gemma Vart via

Confirmation of being awarded a grant

If you have been awarded a research grant please contact Research Finance, contact details are on the Finance webpage or email via Research Finance will 'announce' a grant once it is set up, which will allocate a unique account code. All expenditure relating to this project should be charged to this code. 

Managing the Finances

All financial post award matters are handled by Research Finances, as led by Rosemary Greaves. They are able to advise on budgets, reporting requirements, costs, invoicing, expenditure eligibility, staffing, exchange rate issues, allocation of indirect costs, final reports and any other associated financial matters.

If you need information on making payments or travel claims please consult the Finance web page.

Signing the PI Statement of Responsibilities

As the Principal Investigator (PI) you have responsibility for the technical, administrative, and financial management of a project, including any associated subcontracts. Therefore, you need to ensure that you are aware of and adhere to the relevant funding agency and College regulations in relation to the conduct of research, training and public funded activities. To confirm your adherence to the guidelines, as the PI you will be required to sign the Statement of Responsibilities. This form can be found in Research Support Resources.

What to do when there is a contract or sub contract?

Please contact Philip Johnson, Contracts and Intellectual Property Manager, to discuss whether your research project needs a contract  to be drafted, either with the funder, collaborators or subcontractors. Philip provides support and model contracts for most situations or he can brief external lawyers if required. However, please contact us as soon as possible as contractual issues may take longer than expected to finalise. In the case of EU Framework projects please contact Research Services before entering into the contract negotiation stage with the Commission.  If you are the co-ordinator on a Framework project, a Consortium Agreement will need to be drafted. If on the other hand, you are a partner, then Research Services will need to comment and approve the Consortium Agreement provided by the co-ordinator.

Peer Review Feedback

Whether you application is succesful or not, Research Services needs to know the outcome of your proposal and to receive copies of any peer review comments fed back to you. If your proposal is unsuccessful, contact Research Services for advice. We might be able to help identify why the project was not funded and suggest other sources of funding.

Employing contract staff on your project

If you have a successful grant and are going to employ staff, Human Resources must be notified and the relevant forms completed via Stonefish. 


Does your require ethical approval?

If your project requires ethical approval you will need follow the procedures as oultined on the ethics page.


Royal Holloway, University of London logo