Information for new staff

New members of staff require a computer username to access RHUL IT Services. In many cases this will be provided to you by your line manager when you start but if not details of how to obtain an account can be found on the "User Account Setup" tab.

You will also find it useful to look through the links on the IT homepage. These provide a solid introduction to the IT services available. If you still have problems, please do not hesitate to log a call to the IT Service Desk (contact information on the right). You can also sign up for IT training or request a Self-Study Pack for a variety of different computer programs.

Central Administrative Departments

In most Central Administrative Departments (e.g. Finance, Registry, HR) your line manager will have obtained a computer account for you with all required access by filling in this form.

Academic Departments

Academic users should fill in this form. Print out the form and send/ bring it to the IT Service Desk or copy and paste the form into an email. The user information can then be processed and forwarded by email to their departmental administrator or manager.

Temporary user accounts

Visiting academic staff and external staff requiring temporary user accounts need to use the same form as new users for academic departments.

Conference delegates

Most conference requests are dealt with by the Sales and Marketing team who forward the appropriate details regarding number and duration of accounts required. Therefore it is likely that you will need to contact them in the first instance. If the conference you are enquiring about is internal, please ask your conference organiser to contact the IT Service Desk to arrange the discussion of requirements.

Personal computers and supported software

Your personal computer is provided through your department and you should ask them about it before you arrive. If you have difficulty please contact us and we will work with your department. The list of campus supported software comprises primarily of :

  • Windows 7
  • MS Office
  • Outlook e-mail
  • Internet Explorer
  • Anti-Virus

We also support some specialised software, for example SPSS (statistics) and, in collaboration with academic staff, for example Finales/Sibelius (music notation software).

IT in teaching and research

If you want to embed IT into your teaching programme you can work with our Educational Development Centre. The IT Department works together with the Library in Information Services to ensure effective use of traditional and electronic material for teaching and research. Each department has an associated Information Consultant who can give detailed advice.


 Accessibility | Policies | Privacy | Regulations & legalScope of support 

Royal Holloway, University of London logo

Getting help

Log a call - IT Service Desk:

W: IT Service Desk


T: (01784 41) 4321

Laptop Support and Mobile Device Clinic

Location: Davison Building, Library, ground floor.  The Support Office is just to the left of the Library helpdesk.


Clinic Opening Times...