To embed Active Lifestyle & Sport at the heart of the Royal Holloway experience; delivering excellence by supporting world class talent and inspiring a generation’s health and well-being.
Active lifestyle and sport already play an essential part in College life, yet there is significant potential to increase and broaden the current offer, thereby encouraging a study/life balance underpinned by health and well-being.
At the moment, there are 46 sports teams with more than 1,100 members competing in BUCS and ULU competitions. In addition, nearly 2,900 students engage with Active Lifestyle or sport whether through membership at the fitness suite or attending be.active sessions. Over a quarter of the student population is engaged with our current offer. And we are supporting elite sportsmen and women through 29 STARS bursaries.
We know that active lifestyles and sport have a variety of benefits to students and staff, including building a sense of community and collegiality.
The project’s mission is to engender a stimulating environment that challenges inactivity and promotes well-being shaping lifelong behaviour; by providing students, staff and community with a broad range of support services and sports facilities.
Overview of proposed facility and service developments
- Floodlit sand dressed artificial hockey pitch
- Floodlit 3G pitch suitable for both rugby and football
- 4 x floodlit courts suitable for both tennis and netball
- Relocated car parking at Nobles field site to improve access for both vehicles and pedestrians
- Improved drainage of Nobles natural turf pitches
- Re-development of East fields natural turf pitches
- Increased fitness provision on, and potentially also off, main campus
- Refurbishment of tennis courts for multi-purpose use at Kingswood
- Relocation of indoor competitive sports to allow greater access for Active Lifestyle activities on campus.