Posted on 10/02/2012
Bonita Norris pictured at the Everest summit, receivied Student Opportunities support from the Annual Fund in 2010
The first Annual Fund Telephone Campaign for 2012 has launched and our team of student callers have already contacted a staggering 600 alumni in the first week.
Each telephone campaign lasts for four weeks and operates during the evenings from the Development Office call centre at Huntersdale.
The Annual Fund raises approximately £160,000 annually through generous donations from alumni and friends of Royal Holloway and Bedford New College.
Students, staff and departments are invited to apply to the Annual Fund for funding for specific projects. This year, the Alumni Advisory Group considered 52 applications for various projects and allocated more than £55,000.
Eligible projects were scored against set criteria, including a project’s commitment to advancing Royal Holloway’s reputation; its demonstration of benefits to the broadest range of stakeholders; and how well it meets a clearly expressed need amongst the College’s students, academics, and the wider community.
The successful projects that have been allocated funding include:
• £4,800 to support the Maths Café, an evening study group led by third year students providing support for first and second year undergraduates.
• £4,000 to the Royal Holloway Entrepreneurs Society to support events and resources
• Over £4,000 for volunteering projects including the Big Spring Clean Community Day, English Tutoring for Refugees, and the Olympics Reminiscence Project.
• £1,900 to the Royal Holloway Boat Club for a replacement outboard motor
• £1,712 awarded to a PhD candidate travelling to Arizona State University to conduct research into children’s behavioural development.
• £1,600 to create an Olympic Legacy in the Windsor Building.
• £1,000 to Voices of Royal Holloway to host a ‘Southern Universities Showcase’ event
• £709 to the Photographic Society for darkroom improvements & exhibition provisions
• £300 to the Royal Holloway Lacrosse Club for ‘Rage Cage’ mobile training goals
If you or someone you know would like to support the Annual Fund, please visit our Giving pages here: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/alumni/givingtothecollege/home.aspx