We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Your country


japanRoyal Holloway has been welcoming students from Japan for many years.

Japanese students at Royal Holloway take courses at all study levels, from undergraduate, to Masters, to research and also university preparation. The subjects they study are also very varied.

Alejandro Orozco is responsible for Japan. He visits the country regularly to attend education exhibitions as well as meet prospective students, and education agents. 

Please do not hesitate to contact him at: Alejandro.Orozco@royalholloway.ac.uk if you would like any information or assistance with making an application. 

Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses. Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, but please see below for the standard minimum entry requirements for students from Japan.


高等学校卒業証書 (Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Students who have completed their School Leaving Certificate in Japan will need to take our one year International Foundation Programme, or the equivalent from another institution, before beginning their undergraduate studies.

Bachelor's Degree
Students who have successfully completed one year of a Bachelor's degree in Japan with good grades will be considered for direct entry to the first year of a Royal Holloway Bachelor's degree programme

A levels & International Baccalaureate (IB)
Students who have taken A levels or the IB Diploma will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes. Specific grade requirements can be found in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

Our International Foundation Year, run by Study Group, is a programme of academic and English language study skills for international students who do not meet the direct entry requirements for undergraduate study.


Bachelor's Degree (Gakushi)
Students who have successfully completed a Bachelor's degree (Gakushi) in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and at a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway Master's degree programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme you are applying for but most departments will ask for between a B to a B+. 

Master's Degree (Shushi)
Students who have successfully completed a Masters degree (Shushi) in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and at a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway MPhil/PhD programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme you are applying for.

English Language

Students will need to be able to prove that they have a minimum level of English language proficiency.

Students who do not meet the English language requirements may be able to take a Pre-sessional English Language Programme (PELP).



For undergraduate students, applications are made online via UCAS. Students applying for our International Foundation Year can do so online via Study Group. For help on how to apply for undergraduate study please visit our Undergraduate Applying section.

Postgraduate courses including the Pre-Masters Diploma for International Students can be made directly to Royal Holloway online. For help on how to apply for postgraduate study please visit our Postgraduate Applying section.

Royal Holloway offers a range of scholarships for our international students. You can find out which ones you're eligible for on our undergraduate scholarships page and postgraduate scholarship page.  

If you are considering postgraduate study at Royal Holloway, you can also find out about the external funding that is available to you.


Meet us in your country

Royal Holloway frequently makes trips to Japan, so why not take the opportunity to meet us in person? You can find out more details about the next Royal Holloway visit to Japan on the calendar on the Meet us in your country page.


3rd floor Inoi Building 2
2-9-19 Shibata
Osaka 530-0012
Tel: +81 6 6371 1116
Email: info@beo-study.com
Website: www.beo.co.jp

2F Nissei Building East 
2-2-13 Shibata
Osaka 530-0012
Tel: +81 6 6147 5681 
Email: Osaka@ukeducation.jp
Website: www.ukeducation.jp


5th Floor Forecast Shinjuku South Bldg
4-3-17 Shinjuku
Tokyo 160-0022
Tel: +81 3 5367 3315
Email: study@beo.jp
Website: www.beo.co.jp

5F Boulevard Building 
1-16-3 Jinnan 
Tokyo 150-0041
Tel: +81 3 5272 9143
Email: Tokyo@ukeducation.jp
Website: www.ukeducation.jp


Institutional partnerships

Royal Holloway has exchange agreements with the following Japanese insitututions:

  • Keo University
  • Ritsumeikan University
  • Waseda University.

Please see our partner institutions page for more details.


The local Japanese community

There is a strong International community at Royal Holloway and a range of clubs and societies available for Japanese students to join, including a Japanese Society. Please email japanesesociety@su.rhul.ac.uk for information.

For details of  other societies and sports clubs, ranging from Anime & Manga to Thai Boxing, please see the Students' Union website.

Alumni Ambassador

There is a Royal Holloway Alumni Chapter in Tokyo who co-ordinate a popular 'drop-in' party once a month for University of London alumni. Our Regional Alumni Ambassador for Tokyo helps to organise these events and is also available to answer questions from prospective students and attend local exhibition events. For more information and contact details please see the Alumni Chapters section in the Alumni Getting Involved page 

Useful Links


Follow us



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback