We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Your country


CanadaRoyal Holloway has been warmly welcoming Canadian students to its undergraduate and postgraduate courses for a number of years.

There are currently 26 Canadian students at Royal Holloway pursuing degree programmes. Canadian students apply to a full range of courses; however, popular courses include: Management, Economics, Politics & International Relations, Geography, English Literature, and History.

The Regional Manager who covers Canada visits twice a year to participate in exhibitions and private visits with schools and partners. For further information or assistance with making an application please do not hesitate to contact us international@royalholloway.ac.uk


Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses. Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, but please see below for the standard minimum entry requirements for students from Canada.


High School Graduation Diploma 
Applicants with 80% in five subjects at grade 12 in the High School Graduation Diploma (or equivalent) will be considered for direct entry to undergraduate degrees. Applicants from the Ontario system will be assessed on the basis of six subjects. Exact grade and subject requirements will depend on the course you are applying for.

A levels & International Baccalaureate (IB)
Students who have taken A levels or the IB Diploma will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes. Specific grade requirements can be found in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

Our International Foundation Year, run by Study Group, is a programme of academic and English language study skills for international students who do not meet the direct entry requirements for undergraduate study.


Bachelor’s Degree
Students who have successfully completed a 4-year honours degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and at a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway Master's degree programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme, but departments will usually ask for a GPA of either 3.0/4.0 (70 per cent) or 3.2/4.0 (75 per cent).

Master's Degree
Students who have successfully completed a Master's degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and at a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway MPhil/PhD programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme, but most departments will ask for a GPA of between 3.0 and 3.3/4.0 or equivalent.

English language

English Language Requirements
Applicants who do not speak English as their first language or who have not received their education through the medium of English are required to provide evidence of their English language proficiency.



For undergraduate students, applications are made online via UCAS. Students applying for a University preparation course or a postgraduate course apply to Royal Holloway directly.

You can find further information on how to apply in the Study here section of the Royal Holloway website. 


Royal Holloway offers a range of scholarships for our international students. You can find out which ones you're eligible for on our undergraduate scholarships page and postgraduate scholarship page.  

If you are considering postgraduate study at Royal Holloway, you can also find out about the external funding that is available to you.

Meet us in Canada

Royal Holloway frequently makes trips to Canada, so why not take the opportunity to meet us in person?  You can find out more details about the next Royal Holloway visit to Canada on the calendar on the Meet us in your country page

Royal Holloway representative in Canada.

Royal Holloway has an appointed representative in Canada who can offer you advice and assistance with your application.


Across The Pond

Across The Pond has representatives across the country.

Tel: +1 905 315 1190
Email: info@studyacrossthepond.com
Website: ca.studyacrossthepond.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AcrossThePondUK
Twitter: @AcrossThePondUK


Institutional partnerships

Royal Holloway, University of London has student exchange agreements with the following universities in Canada:

  • University of Toronto
  • University of Ottawa
  • Concordia Universty
  • University of Alberta

For a full list of all our institutional agreements, please see our partner institutions page.



The local Canadian community

There is a very strong student community at Royal Holloway and there are a range of clubs and societies for students to join, both on the campus and in the local area. For more information please see our clubs and societies page or go to the Students' Union website.

Royal Hollsports-hockey-women-1oway is recognised as one of the University of London’s best sporting Colleges and RHULSPORT offer 35 student sports clubs and high quality on- and off-campus facilities. 

For those of you who still want to be able to watch ice hockey games or other Canadian sport highlights you can visit the Maple Leaf in central London. 

Community Action Volunteering exists to connect, train and support Royal Holloway students seeking to volunteer in the local community.


Useful Links



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback