Fees and expenses

Study Abroad at Royal Holloway has an integrated programme fee which covers the charges for all tuition, as well as accommodation and the participation costs for the Study Abroad Social Programme. The fee charged to you depends on whether you are applying to Royal Holloway via a partner institution or whether you are making an independent application.

Fees and scholarships

The fee information for study abroad students can vary depending on how you are applying to study with us.  Please take a look at the relevant tabs below.  You can also find information on scholarship schemes that you may be eligible to apply for.

For students applying though an institution with which Royal Holloway has an agreement, for example your current college or through Arcadia University College of Global Studies or Institute for Study Abroad at Butler University, there is an agreed package fee which includes tuition, accommodation and membership of the Students’ Union. The institution you are applying through can supply you with the most up-to-date fees. Certain minor incidental expenses are not included in the fee, such as occasional photocopying and some teaching materials.

Study period                     

Accommodation fee (2014-15)       

Tuition fee (2014-5)            

Full academic year

Gowar or Wedderburn £5,822

Runnymede £5,448

Reid £4,463

Founder's £3,165 - £4,889  (5 different options ranging from shared room to large single room with washbasin)


Term 1 only

Gowar or Wedderburn £2,460

Runnymede £2,302

Reid £1,789

Founder's £1,269  - £1,960 (5 different options ranging from shared room to large single room with washbasin)


Terms 2 and 3 only

Gowar or Wedderburn £3,361

Runnymede £3,145

Reid £2,673

Founder's £1,896 - £2,929  (5 different options ranging from shared room to large single room with washbasin)


Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarships

These offer up to US $5000 for semester or academic year programmes and are sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State. They are administered by the Institute of International Education.

BUTEX Scholarships  

The British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association Scholarship is open to all undergraduate students currently registered at an institution in the USA or Canada. To be eligible to apply you must have been offered a place as a study abroad student in a UK university which is a member of BUTEX, such as Royal Holloway. Each scholarship is worth US$1000 and will be paid to recipients once they have arrived and registered at Royal Holloway


Living Expenses 

In addition to the programme fee, you will need to budget for living expenses. In general, about £100 to £130 per week will cover meals, some local travel, study-related costs, entertainment and other personal items.

Below is an example of expenses you may need to budget for during your study period at Royal Holloway. 

Living expenses (approximate cost per week)

This is an example table caption

£80 - £130, depending on location and facilities 

Food/Household   £40 - £50
Mobile/Telephone  £10
Travel (with 30% discount)  £20
Books and Equipment  £10 
Entertainment £40
Clothing and Personal items  £10 


Financial aid

You should check with your home institution what financial aid is available to help fund study abroad. You may be able to continue with your current funding programme while abroad, and some universities have dedicated bursary schemes to assist with additional expenses such as air travel or health insurance.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback