We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section International exchange


 Follow the steps below to make an application as an International Exchange student:

Step 1: Check that your university has an International Exchange partnership

Does your home institution have an international exchange partnership with Royal Holloway, University of London?  If your home institution is not one of our international exchange partners, you can still apply as a Study Abroad student.


You can find a list of our international exchange partners on our partner institution page.


Step 2: Nomination

In order to apply as an international exchange student, you need to be nominated by your home university.

Contact the International Exchange Coordinator at your home university for further information about the application and selection process at your institution.

Once your nomination has been granted by your home institution, your International Exchange Coordinator will send your nomination through the Partner Universities Nomination Form.

Deadline for receipt of international exchange nominations:

  • 15 April for September starters
  • 15 October for January starters

Step 3: Entry requirements

Academic Requirements

The minimum entry requirement for most departments at Royal Holloway is the equivalent of a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0).  However, the departments of History, English and Drama & Theatre normally ask for a GPA of 3.3 out of 4.0.  Other requirements for particular course units are provided in the Departmental Course Options

English Language Requirements

If English is not your first language, and you have not previously studied in an English-speaking environment, you will normally be asked to provide information on your level of English.  The minimum standard of English required for direct entry onto credit-bearing courses is:

IELTS:  6.5 overall (with no subscore below 5.5)

Pearson:  61 overall (with 54 in writing and no subscore below 51)

If your English language level falls between IELTS 6.0 and 6.5, you may wish to consider taking either the 4-week or the 8-week Pre-sessional English Language Programme.

Step 4: Choose your courses

You may apply for course units in up to three academic departments. However, please be aware that taking courses in a number of departments may lead to timetable clashes. 

A wide variety of courses from the wider University are available for international exchange students. In most cases, students will take courses alongside degree-seeking students. However, due to the popularity of certain courses, some departments have a restricted ability to accept International Exchange applications.

Courses must be selected from the Departmental Course Options for visiting students and you should ask your International Exchange Coordinator for advice when choosing.

The courses indicated on your Visiting Students Application Form are requested courses only. All courses are subject to suitability and availability and the College is unable to guarantee that a student will be admitted onto the requested courses.

In order to cover the eventuality that selected courses may be full, unavailable, or unsuitable, students staying for the full year should select courses totalling 5-6 course units or more. Students staying for Term 1 only or Terms 2 and 3 should select courses totalling 3-4 course units.

Step 5: Complete an application online

To register and apply please go to Royal Holloway Direct.

In addition to the application form, you will need to submit the required supporting documents:

  • An authorised transcript of your university studies
  • An English translation of your transcript (if necessary)
  • Reference letters
  • Proof of English Language proficiency (if English is not your native language)
  • A photocopy of the personal details page of your passport
  • Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Original copies of supporting documents cannot be returned.
  • Deadline for receipt of applications:
  • 24 May* for September starters
  • 24 October for January starters
  • * Some agreements with international exchange partners specify a slightly later application deadline, but we will not accept applications after 31 May.

Step 6: Accept your Offer and Study Plan

  • You will be sent an offer letter by email.  This is an offer for a place to study at Royal Holloway, subject to satisfactory agreement of your course choices.  Once you have accepted this offer, you will be able to apply for accommodation.
  • We will then liaise with our academic departments on your behalf, and they review your application to assess your suitability for the requested courses.  They reserve the right to suggest alternative suitable courses if you are not suitably qualified or if classes are full.
  • Once your courses have been approved, you will be sent your Study Plan to approve.  In most cases, these will be the courses that you will take, but occasionally slight changes may need to be made during your first week on campus, due to timetable clashes or other unforeseen circumstances.

Step 6: Apply for Accommodation

  • International Exchange students are eligible for campus accommodation in the halls of residence. You should ensure that you apply before the deadline given in your offer letter.
  • You can find more information on the type of accommodation available to International Exchange students on the Accommodation Webpages. Applications received after the closing dates will normally be processed, but availability of College accommodation cannot be guaranteed.  All queries regarding accommodation should be directed to student-enquiries@royalholloway.ac.uk.

Further advice

Please check the email provided in your application regularly.  We recommend that you disable spam filters or add the Royal Holloway domain name to a 'safe list' to ensure that messages from Royal Holloway are not classified as junk mail.

Useful pre-arrival information is available in the After Applying section of the Royal Holloway site. Please check the information on applying for a student visa here, as it is your responsibility to check the visa requirements for entry clearance to study in the UK.

Academic term dates can be found here. Autumn term move-in dates are usually the Saturday or Sunday before the first day of term.  Spring term move-in date is usually the Thursday before the first day of term.

Contact us

Need help with your application? Email:




English Language Support

We offer several opportunities for non-native English speakers to seek language support and improve their English language skills.

If your overall IELTS score is below 6.5, you may have to take an English language course before starting your period of study at Royal Holloway:

If English is not your native language, you may consider taking English language courses during your period of study to further develop your English language level and academic study skills, such as:


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback