We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > International home > After applying > Pre-departure advice > Health and medical advice
More in this section Pre-departure advice

Health and medical advice


Preparations before travel

Students from some countries are required to obtain a health certificate before they can be granted a visa or admitted to the United Kingdom. As this may take time, it is important you find out if you will have to meet this requirement when you enquire about obtaining a visa.

The College Health Centre advises students to have a Meningitis C vaccination before they come to the UK, if it is available in their home country. If you are not able to have this before you travel, the vaccination is available from the College Health Centre for those under the age of 25.

Pre-existing conditions

You may be aware that while studying overseas can have huge benefits, moving to another country is stressful. If you have a pre-existing medical or psychological condition, you may be particularly vulnerable to problems. We would strongly suggest that you ask for advice from your doctor about whether studying abroad is advisable in your circumstances, and if so, what steps you should take to ensure your continued good health while in this country. You must therefore plan ahead to ensure that you can receive appropriate medical or psychological support when you arrive in the UK.

The Disabilities and Dyslexia Support team at the College can advise students about the type of support facilities available at the College and in the local area. It is recommended that you contact the DDS by email prior to coming to the College so that support can be discussed and any needed arrangements made before your arrival.

If you have a long term medical or psychological condition it is a good idea to bring a brief letter with you to the College Health Centre. The letter should be in English, from your doctor outlining your medical history with a full list of the medication that you are taking. You should also plan to bring with you a fout-week supply of your medication, to ensure that you have enough while you transfer to the UK health system.

Further information on the healthcare is available here


Contact us

We're located at the International Building, Room 009, 

We're open: Mon-Fri, 10.00am to  4.00pm 

Email: internationaladvice@royalholloway.ac.uk


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback