More in this section Applying for a student visa

Visa for Resits

On 31 March 2009, the Points Based System for student immigration was introduced. Under the new rules, in order for students to apply for immigration permission, student’s applications must be supported by the College. The UKVI calls this ‘sponsorship’. This is not financial sponsorship.

On 05 October 2009 the UKVI published an up-dated document to explain when the College can sponsor students and when it cannot.

Where the Tier 4 sponsor does not require the student’s continued participation within 60 days of the start of the next academic period (with the exception of recognised institutional vacation periods), the Tier 4 sponsor should not continue to sponsor the student.” UK Border Agency Guidance for sponsor applications (05 October 2009)

If you are re-sitting examinations not in attendance for the May resits (Late April – June) then you are not required to participate in studies until the exam period begins towards the end of April. Therefore the above guidance from the UKVI does not allow the College to continue to sponsor you. The Academic Registry will not be able to issue you with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) in this situation.

If you are not eligible to stay in the UK for any other reason, then you will have to return home.

It will not make a difference if you undertake to study or attend voluntarily, as you are not required to attend under such an arrangement and so College cannot issue a CAS. If on the other hand you enrol on an additional course with us to study further, or to repeat certain modules, then you may be eligible for sponsorship. This option is dependent on a course existing that is suitable for you and on you being willing and able to pay the appropriate fees.

 Returning to the UK for the exam period


If you have left the UK at the end of your period of eligibility and then you need to return to the UK for your re-sits, you can apply for a Short Term Study Visa up to three months before the start of the exam period.

To help you apply for a Short Term Study Visa , you need to request for a Student Status letter from Student Services Centre via the online form here. You also need to provide details of your exam, and you will need to include this with your visa application.  If you are a visa national you need to apply in your home country. Non visa nationals can either obtain the visa in advance or apply on re-entry to the UK.

You cannot apply for this visa from within the UK.

Information on this category of visa can be found on our Short Term Study Visa  webpage.

Please contact the staff in the International Student Support Office as they will be able to advise you.

If your application is successful, you will be allowed to return to the UK up to one month before the exam period begins.


Table comparing characteristics of Tier 4 (General) and  Short Term Study Visa immigration permission

           Tier 4 (General)
Short Term Study VIsa (previously Student Visitor Visa )
 Can be Granted Entry
 NO YES, but only if you are not a visa national. You can find a list of visa nationals on the UK Visas website 
 Visa Application Fee

£322 Outside the UK

 £439 in the UK

£85 of free if granted on Entry ( Visa Nationals)
Length of Immigration Period 
 You should be able to come to the UK up to one month before your studies. You should be granted permission to stay until the expected end date of your course as stated on your CAS plus additional time as defined in the UKBA policy guidance  Six Months
 Can Be Extended in the UK


 Can I Switch to other catagories (Tier 2 General Visa (Work Permit))
 Do I have to Pay theNHS Subcharge
 YES - The exact amount you have to pay depends on how much leave you’re granted. You cancalculate how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.





Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback