Postgraduate taught courses
Find out about from Jonathan Phillips and Anna Whitelock about the postgraduate programmes we offer; what we look for in an applicant; the facilities and research expertise available to our students; and the kinds of careers our graduates go on to.
The History Department has a large and lively community of postgraduates, many of them part-time. With more than 30 full-time members of staff, we offer an exceptional variety of expertise and high quality of research. The Department also benefits from the University of London libraries and seminar programmes, and from proximity to the National Archives at Kew and the British Library in central London. Royal Holloway's masters courses are taught either on the Egham campus or at the College's central London teaching site in Bedford Square.
For information and advice about how to apply for one of our MA programmes, please consult the College's online application service, Royal Holloway Direct.
A number of scholarships are available to History Department students starting a Masters degree:
- Brian Harris Scholarship: available to a new full-time Masters student living and educated in the UK studying an MA History degree. A strong preference will be given to students who have been educated in UK government-funded schools.
- David Cesarani, Kobler Scholarship: available to a full-time student with Home/EU fee status studying an MA Holocaust Studies degree.
- Dinah & Jessica Nichols MA Scholarship: open to a full-time student studying for a Masters degree in the department.
- Herringham MA Scholarships: open to full-time students studying a Masters degree in the department.
- Dr Pirkko Koppinen Scholarship: open to a current or former RHUL student from the departments of English or History who will be studying a full-time Masters degree in MA Medieval Studies.
- Hellenic Institute Scholarships and Bursaries: available to students studying MA History: Hellenic Studies or MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies.
Full application details for all these scholarships can be found on the College's Postgraduate Scholarships page.