Tax forms, information

Tax forms, information

P45 form is issued to you when you leave an employer. You should keep part 1A for your records and hand parts 2 and 3 to your new employer.

P46 form is used when you start work for a new employer and you do not have a P45 from a previous employer (i.e. it has been lost, or this is your first job). It enables your new employer to allocate a tax code according to the statement you have ticked and notify HMRC that you have started work for them. HMRC will then notify your new employer of any change to be made to your tax code.

P60 form is used at the end of a tax year to show details of your earnings for the tax year. These are now issued electronically and accessed on MyView. Examples of when you would need this are completing a tax return or applying for a mortgage.

P85 form is used to notify HMRC that someone is leaving the country.

P86 form is used to notify HMRC that someone has entered the country.

Self Assessment involves completing a tax return each year. You show your income and capital gains (profits on the sale of certain assets) and claim tax allowances or reliefs on your tax return. Not everyone needs to complete a tax return. If your tax affairs are straightforward you may already pay all of the tax due on your earnings or pensions through your tax code. But you may need to complete a tax return if you have more complicated tax affairs, even if you already pay tax through your tax code. There are also certain circumstances in which you will always need to complete a tax return - for example if you're:

  • self-employed
  • a company director
  • a trustee
  • receiving foreign income

Royal Holloway, University of London logo