EN2325 Modernist Literature
Summer Reading List 2017-18
Course Tutor: Dr Will Montgomery/ Professor Fordham
Autumn term – prose
Unless there’s an indication that photocopies will be provided, you should BUY the following novels (you might find some of the texts on-line, but they may be corrupt, and they will lack both good and useful introductions and recommendations for further reading).
- Joseph Conrad's 'The Secret Agent' (Norton Critical Edition)
- James Joyce's 'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' (Norton Critical Edition)
- Virginia Woolf's 'Mrs Dalloway' (Ox World Classics)
- Katherine Mansfield 'Short Stories' (Norton Critical Edition)
- Samuel Beckett, 'The Expelled, The Calmative, The End, with First Love' (Faber)
NB: the three editions published by Norton can be bought at a special “3 for 2” rate via John Smith’s Student Store. Instead of £24 pounds, you’ll be paying £15.90. All three have excellent intros and critical essays about the texts. I STRONGLY recommend them. To buy online: Visit www.johnsmith.co.uk/rhul and enter 2360000023378 in the search field. You will then be able to place an order for home delivery, ensuring you have all the books you need, in the correct editions, before the module begins.
Spring term – poetry
- Gertrude Stein, 'Tender Buttons’.
- T.S. Eliot, 'The Waste Land'.
- Wallace Stevens, Selected Poems.