CW3103 Writing in the Expanded Field
Course Tutor: Dr. Kristen Kreider
Fiona Banner, Superhuman Nude (2011)
COURSE PREPARATION 2013-14
During the summer months, please familiarise yourself with one of the following blog platforms. In doing so, set up a blog for yourself that you will use for CW3103 next year:
Over the summer, please have a look at the work of some of the following creative practitioners and identify elements in their work that you think are interesting and would like to employ in your own. Please dedicate one blog post to at least three of these practitioners (or others not on this list that you are interested in). In doing so, include links to their work and your response to/analysis of this work.
- Laurie Anderson
- Fiona Banner
- Samuel Beckett
- Steven Berkoff
- Sophie Calle
- Theresa Hak Kyung Cha
- Jeremy Deller
- Willie Doherty
- Maria Fusco
- Susan Hiller
- Jenny Holzer
- Roni Horn
- Rebecca Horn
- Joan Jonas
- Miranda July
- Ilya Kabakov
- Joseph Kosuth
- Chris Marker
- Bruce Nauman
- Alain Robbe-Grillet
- Diller & Scofidio
- NaoKo TahaHashi
- Fiona Templeton
- Thomson & Craighead
Over the summer, please undertake the following activities. After doing so, please write a short review of the event (350-500 words) and post this on your blog.
Please have a read through some of the following materials ahead of next year:
- Barthes, Roland. Image, Music, Text. Trans. Stephen Heath. London: Fontana Press, 1977.
- de Oliveira, Nicolas and Nicola Oxley, Michael Petry with texts by Michael Archer. Installation Art. London: Thames and Hudson, 1994.
- Dean, Tacita and Jeremy Millar. Place. London: Thames and Hudson, 2005.
- Goldberg, RoseLee. Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present. London: Thames and Hudson, 1988.
- ---. Performance: Live Art Since the 60s. London: Thames and Hudson, 2004.
- Morley, Simon. Writing on the Wall: Word and Image in Modern Art. London: Thames and Hudson, 2003.
- Rush, Michael. New Media in Art (World of Art). London: Thames and Hudson, 2005.
- ---. Video Art. London: Thames and Hudson, 2003.
- Sayre, Henry. The Object of Performance: The American Avant-Garde Since 1970.
- Wallis, Brian, ed. Blasted Allegories: An Anthology of Writings by Contemporary Artists. Foreword by Marcia Tucker. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1987.