Placements and industry links
Many of the department’s students undertake internships which helps prepare them to move into the career of their choice upon graduation.
Recent internships have included:
• Research experiences at the University of Kiel in Germany
• Work experience at a gold and silver mining company in Eastern Kazakhstan
• A field project in Shetland Isles
• A placement at Caledonia Mining in Zambia and Zimbabwe
• A research projects at the University of New South Wales, Sydney
• An internship at EGI Utah Universities institute in Bratislava, Slovakia.
The Department of Earth Sciences awards a number of annual‘Lyell Scholarships’ for students registered for a BSc or MSci degree with the department. The Lyell Scholarships, worth up to £1000, are maintenance payments for students who wish to gain work experience or research-experience over the summer break at the end of the second (BSc) or third (MSci) year of study.
The Placements Team from Royal Holloway’s Careers and Employability Service are offering a limited number of workplace based micro placements to interested students studying Earth Science.
First year student, looking for a short-term placement in your 2nd year?
We can find you a placements in your chosen area of interest! The micro-placement scheme will be open again in September2017 for placements taking place in the summer of 2018.
Keep an eye out on this page for further information.